What size motor on 20 foot pontoon

Marine254

Recruit
I have a 2006 Palm Beach 20 foot pontoon that came with a Mercury 40hp 4-stroke motor. The motor runs great and we love it, but my kids are getting older and want to go tubing more. It is boring because our max speed is in the 15-18mph range with only a few people in it--it drops considerably when friends come aboard or if it's windy. The max horsepower the pontoon is rated for is a 90hp, so I was wondering if anyone had a 20 foot pontoon with a 90hp outboard on it and what top speeds they hit. I would be very happy if we could gain 7-12mph, which includes being loaded with a bunch of people or in the wind.

I appreciate your feedback!

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: What size motor on 20 foot pontoon

Welcome "Marine254". Our 2005 24' Starcraft would run 24 mph w/ 90 hp Merc Optimax and a load. I believe 10 - 12 mph difference is a bit optimistic. Good luck !!!

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be a big upgrade, but like was stated above, I doubt you see a 12mph jump. What's going to happen is you are going to be able to reach 22-24mph most likely, which is a pretty decent speed IMO.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You could gain ten to twelve mph under optimal conditions; perfectly straight and clean toons, smooth water, etc. etc. etc. However, you'll likely find that unless a ninety drops in your lap you'll be much better off simply upgrading the whole rig. We'll be glad to help you spend your money.;) Welcome aboard.:cool: