Transom straps

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So there were no transom straps on my new boat. Looking at the rear of the boat I see 2 U bolts one on either
side of the motor. There are flanges on the trailer down by the tail lights with appropriate holes for the tie downs.
Just happened to have a couple of ratchet tie downs from horrible freight. Only problem I have is the webbing stout
enough for the job. What say you?? Rwgards, old jim

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom straps

Transom straps are so important to secure the load, not only to prevent the boat from bouncing but as a important safety issue going down the road, that I would make sure they are good and strong and designed for the job. And don't forget the bow tie down. Winches are just for winching.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't say without seeing them and knowing size of boat.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would not trust the Harbor Freight ratchet straps for very long. They will break down due to water and UV exposure. Been there, done that. You can pick up a decent set of transom straps at Wallyworld for around $20.

WILD MAN

Recruit

My pontoon didn't come w/ transom straps so I asked the dealer about it he told me a 22ft pontoon didn't need them it would ride fine and so far he is right I've been down some of the worst roads Mississippi has to offer and have never had any problem I even hit a bump so hard that it broke the anchor light off the bimini but the boat never moved.

rutcutter

Seaman

I pull my pontoon every time we go out and I have never used them. If you want some Sam's carries a very good one under the Goodyear brand. They are wide and strong. Also inexpensive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

My pontoon didn't come w/ transom straps so I asked the dealer about it he told me a 22ft pontoon didn't need them it would ride fine and so far he is right I've been down some of the worst roads Mississippi has to offer and have never had any problem I even hit a bump so hard that it broke the anchor light off the bimini but the boat never moved.

This dealer should be shot.... that is horrible advice..... EVERY boat MUST be secured at both ends.
Get some straps. They may save your life if you get into a collision and they will keep the boat from bouncing on the trailer.

I heard the same story from a fellow I was following to the boat ramp last summer.... As he crossed a set of rr tracks in front of me his 26' boat bounced nearly a foot off of the trailer in the rear. Two miles later at the ramp I mentioned to him that he needed transom straps and told me that he'd never used them because that big of a boat would never move on the trailer. After I explained what had just happened and that they were required by law he thanked me and said he had no idea and would be getting some that afternoon.

I pull my pontoon every time we go out and I have never used them. If you want some Sam's carries a very good one under the Goodyear brand. They are wide and strong. Also inexpensive.

You need straps too and since as you said they are inexpensive, you have no excuse.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This is one of the often debaited things. Think of it this way Transom straps are very cheep insurance it will stop the boat from moving around and it will move around you just dont see it and that will shake thing lose and may be stop a hole in the hull or log and even perhaps stop it from coming through the cab if you hit something head on. It may not be nessary, but it sure wont hurt you or the boat and it can save you a repair bill.

WILD MAN

Recruit

This is one of the often debaited things. Think of it this way Transom straps are very cheep insurance it will stop the boat from moving around and it will move around you just dont see it and that will shake thing lose and may be stop a hole in the hull or log and even perhaps stop it from coming through the cab if you hit something head on. It may not be nessary, but it sure wont hurt you or the boat and it can save you a repair bill.

Good point I think I'll get some.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I guess it's time to post this picture again. Geez folks -- did you non-believers flunk high school physics? Does the term "an object in motion tends to stay in motion" mean anything? Look at this picture very carefully? Do you see any damage on the front of the truck? No? You would be correct. This is nothing more than a quick stop. The boat launched itself over the bow stop and likely trashed two otherwise perfect out drives. That and the result tow truck charge and the ordeal the kid had to go through with his DAD would have been well worth the 20 bucks or so for transom straps. If that can happen in a sudden stop, a quick evasive move can also dump a boat. Just ask my dentist who dumped his in the middle of an intersection. Weight has nothing to do with this.Ever see a semi-roll over or the sides split out of grain hauler after taking an exit or entrance ramp too fast.

Trailleroops.jpg

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

....perhaps if you want to become "older jim" than you would heed all this great advise...!! :D

dtpgoose

Recruit

Hi
I just picked up a Nice Set of Buckle Straps (retractable) at The Spring Fishing Sale at Bass Pro they were $109 a week ago and yesterday they were 49.97 and they come with the bolts to mount. This is just through Feb 29th I think.

Wes

So there were no transom straps on my new boat. Looking at the rear of the boat I see 2 U bolts one on either
side of the motor. There are flanges on the trailer down by the tail lights with appropriate holes for the tie downs.
Just happened to have a couple of ratchet tie downs from horrible freight. Only problem I have is the webbing stout
enough for the job. What say you?? Rwgards, old jim

Shortbuss

Cadet

I feel like an idiot. Read this thread and figured I was ok to tow without. Dumbest thing I have ever done. I'm lucky all it cost me was $150 in fines. In British Columbia cananda it's the law to have them. Never doing that again.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

HA! Now is the time to brush up on all the regs where you boat.....and if you go into the USA as well. Happy reading!

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who dredged this thing up? I look at my neighbors 20+ pluss Crestliner with 1 1/2 in transom
straps and my 4in straps, I don't remember mentioning the Titanic. I think the guy at West
Marine saw me coming. Regards, old jim

Shortbuss

Cadet

Ha ha no need to read up on the regs where I live. The cop who pulled me over informed me of them when he gave me a ticket!

notaz3

Seaman Apprentice

My dealer gave me the same line about not needing transom staps. I told him thanks for the bad and installed my buckle buddies when I got home. The following year his secretary dumped a boat in an intersection. Funny thing that now all his boats are sold with transom staps.

sawbld

Cadet

Straps are a must!!, But just dont forget to remove them before you back er in :):)

I added it to my check list along with unpluging the lights........