down payment on pontoon,help trolling motor

fod59

Cadet
Put money down on a 2007 Odessey 322 with a 115 Johnson,Going to mount a trolloing motor,like to go with 54 lbs with 12 volts,Is this going to big enough,trolling shoreline bassfishing,not sure if i want to go with 24 volt system if i have to i will

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: down payment on pontoon,help trolling motor

If an Odessey 322 is a 22 footer the 54# will be ok on quiet water but marginal in the wind. If the Odessey 322 is a 32 footer ain't no way 54# will work. Remember, pontoons are like barn doors in the wind, the wind blows them around quite easily and you need power to overcome the wind. So what you need depends on how y0u fish, where you fish, and under what conditions. If you do go 12 volts, make certain you use the largest deep cycle battery your budget can affort.

fod59

Cadet

If an Odessey 322 is a 22 footer the 54# will be ok on quiet water but marginal in the wind. If the Odessey 322 is a 32 footer ain't no way 54# will work. Remember, pontoons are like barn doors in the wind, the wind blows them around quite easily and you need power to overcome the wind. So what you need depends on how y0u fish, where you fish, and under what conditions. If you do go 12 volts, make certain you use the largest deep cycle battery your budget can affort.

It is a 22 ft,sounds like a should go to the 24 volt,like to have a foot control but deck is not big enough,only 18 inches
dont want to leave ga open

5150abf

Vice Admiral

55 is the biggest you can get in 12 volt and that should be fine unless you hit alot of wind, toons make really good sails.if your front gate has 2 cross bars you can cut out the bottom one for clearance and it looks just like a trolling gate.

I would also really suggest you get another battery, trolling on the starting battery can turn out badly when the engine doesn't start.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just purchased a 54 # thrust 12 volt minn-kota power-V, I also got another battery just for the trolling motor. from what I read and others comments , I feel the 54 will work fine for what I will be useing it for. and if it gets to windy I will fire up the outboard and get off the lake.
I guess you can say I am a fair weather fisherman

thanks Jack

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is how I modified my gate to accomodate the troller. The gate was made to clear a troller but it didn't have enough clearance.

BowGateModification.jpg

fod59

Cadet

Here is how I modified my gate to accomodate the troller. The gate was made to clear a troller but it didn't have enough clearance.

BowGateModification.jpg

The 55 is what i thought i needed at first,reading everything on the internet alot of people said it would not be big enough.I realy
dont want to pay the extra money for a 24 volt,but dont want to buy somrthing to small,i will be trolling shorline bassfishing