trex composite

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I have ben looking at some of the composites to make some small shelfs out of for my toon and the trex stuff is avable local was wondering if any one had used it and how it held up.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trex composite

Trex is a very good product, been around for many years and holds up in any weather. The only drawback I see, is that Trex is fairly heavy compared to wood, and you would need to support it with brackets or wood framing to hold it up. It really depends on the design of the shelves, and what you are going to put on them. Trex will also scratch, and it will stain if you pour certain things on it. Let me know more of what you intend on putting on these shelves, and I could probably offer more suggestions. Griggsmars

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their going to be small 24 x 20 x 6 deep, for drinks, suntan lotion and other assorted junk. Was looking at that material so I don't have to paint or upholstery. Very light duty.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Trex should work very well for this type of shelving, it will last the life of your boat with little or no maintenance. Also, you can flip the board over, it has wood grain on one side and a straight groove on the other. Good luck

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Trex is not what you want, it's heavy, weak, changes size and shape a great deal with temperature, molds, etc. Use the PVC trim boards, they are much lighter and will hold up much better than Trex.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

thanks I will look at that, and that may very well be what I was looking at I was at home depot recently looking at the pvc trim boards and I thought it was made out of trex.

chriscraft254

Commander

I agree trex is not what you want. Even in the composite decking feild, trex is outdated and there are much better composites on the market today. Trex has wood particals in it and breaks down over time. And like already said it is heavy, almost twice what wood weights. It is also not structural and would have to be supported.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I took a Trex deck apart once that was completely water logged??? Hevy as all get out!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Right now I am looking at the PVC trim boards in a 3/4 thickness. Weight on them wont be much and I will build them to be self supporting, I was thinking about this more for durability and no maintance or rot.