Pontoon Won't Trim Out at Low Speeds

paul.fargo

Recruit
I have a Bennington SLI 20 with a 50 hp Yamaha four stroke high trust engine, my problem is that at low speeds with only a couple of passengers the boat runs at about a 15% tilt. The motor is at full negative trim, I have been told to put a "whale tail" on the motor and that will give me more lift, anyone had experience with this, any help would be appreciated.

Paul

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Won't Trim Out at Low Speeds

Do you mean no wake speed or 8 to 10 mph.
Most pontoons have a pretty noticeable tilt to the sytern just sitting.
What brand and model prop are you running?
I think some motors have a manual trim setting so the t&t can gain full
down trim. Have you checked for water in the tubes?
Does the boat seem to squat a lot at rest?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Pontoons are notoriously heavy in the stern and since that's where people tend to sit and where the fuel is that's the nature of the beast.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

They put to much weight on the motor.I had one on a bow rider and I gave mine away.It had an I/O with 230 HP .

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any boat will 'squat' at part throttle, that's why I want people to pass my dock at dead slow or full plane ... ;)

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

As much as we know many here would like them to be toons are not performers. They were meant to be driven slowly whilst sipping the beverage of choice.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If any of us could solve that problem we would be very well off, that si a problem with all boats and expecially pontoons, the only real cure is to have passengers sit forward to help spread the weight in the boat.

A tail wouldn't help at slow speeds, it is like the wing on a plane, it need speed to work and they don't work well on a toon.

DavenLC

Seaman

You guys must've had some bad luck with a Whale tale.
I purchased my 24' 50hp toon w/o a Tale. With the recommendation of a friend, I installled one and Whoah! what a difference! Noticable improvement in power/thrust.

I recommend a Whale Tale on a pontoon.
Seems as though it concentrates the water flow more in the prop area.