Jet ski as kicker motor for cabin pontoon

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am thinking of building a jet ski platform behind my 135 outboard. Then use the motor of the jet ski as a kicker to push my cabin pontoon at slow speeds. Never owned a jet ski but I am sure the kids would enjoy. Will my 135 ,turned off, guide the boat using the steering wheel? I assume, a throttle and cut off switch will be needed to operate the jet ski. wilecoyote1.jpgwilecoyote1.jpg

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Jet ski as kicker motor for cabin pontoon

The steering will not be very responsive. The platform, throttle control, and cut off switch seems to make the end result to not worthy of the required effort.

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does sound like a liot of work would be required to make the connections at the wheel. I think that a platform to attach the jetski would be kinda cool tho. You could have someone come out and meet you out on the water, then still have the ski with you when everyone decideds to go in....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You may run ionot problems with the law, operating a jet ski with no one on it.

so you want to attach the ski to your engine and operate it from the con, don't knwo how you would even begin to do that, sounds really complicated and then ti probably wouldn't work like you wanted.

Why not just run the engine just off idle adn tow the ski, I see that all the time.

As I always say, draw it out with measurments because if you can't draw it you can't build it either.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As I always say, draw it out with measurments because if you can't draw it you can't build it either.

My plan was to connect to two cross members of the boat on each of the motors and extend the vertical planks out the back. Like a horse and buggy rig, except push. I was going to use two metal floor planks with redwood 2 x 6s inserted inside them, and then join the two extensions acrosswise, behind the motor. Pretty simple really. Does the steering wheel control the nozzle? What would happen if the steering handles were locked down in the staight position to the extensions? The ski is floating and running. Would it help or not when you turn the outboard steering wheel? What direction would the body of the Ski turn. Would the ski assit in power if the 135 was turned on? Would the ski assit in flotation? Thanks

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Go for it.
I have seen a pontoon boat advertized that uses a PWC docked into the stern.

Locking the PWC to straight ahead would create an understeer condition when trying to turn it with the dead outboards.
As in a rear wheel drive car with a detroit locker in it.
You might be able to rig up a rudder to the PWC holder cabled to the outboard steering though.

I think the thrust and water flow of the PWC would have to be far greater than the thrust and water flow of the outboards before you would see any benefit there.

To attach the PWC to the stern, I think you do not really need anything more fancy than a typical RV toad towbar set-up.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might be able to rig up a rudder to the PWC holder cabled to the outboard steering though. On the lower unit of the outboard? Like the horz lift attachments but vert. Good thought that might improve turning on the outboard .

To attach the PWC to the stern, I think you do not really need anything more fancy than a typical RV toad towbar set-up.
I agree PWC in the water ? or partly docked? Connected to what part of the PWC?

Some of those PWC have a lot of HP. It would be a fun project to put a rutter where the outboard is and tool around the lake. A small tug boat, I better finish my cabin then try this. thanks guys.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Go for it.
I have seen a pontoon boat advertized that uses a PWC docked into the stern.

Did it look like this?
5.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Wish I had taken a picture of a pontoon I saw on minnetonka one day. big one maybe 26ft with a jetski ramp/dock on each side of the motor. Now these were standup jetskis, not big sit down ones.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

the problem with that doodad is that the PWC is your ONLY source of propulsion.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool doodad, Same principal I was talking about. I could see PWC motors mounted inside each back section of the pontoon with rutter steering where the motor is now. Really thinking out of the box, liking it. Gets the juices running. My wife would kill me. Ha Ha

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That jetski set up is pretty cool. I was trying to think about the trailer set up, but they had that covered too. Only it looked like the jetski itself was not supported that well in the trailer. Other than that, its a nice set-up, I wonder how much it runs tho....

Blank-N-Ship

Seaman

That jetski set up is pretty cool. I was trying to think about the trailer set up, but they had that covered too. Only it looked like the jetski itself was not supported that well in the trailer. Other than that, its a nice set-up, I wonder how much it runs tho....
http://www.btd-marine.com.au/ (Shuttle Craft -> SC15)

Those Aussies sure love their toys. No price available and nobody's trying to sell their used one.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I talked to a pro the other day and he said buy me a 80 to 101 thrust trolling motor and take the shaft off it. Then, attach it to my plaining plate on the motor and run toggle switches to the wheel for control . Sounds like a plan.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I talked to a pro the other day and he said buy me a 80 to 101 thrust trolling motor and take the shaft off it. Then, attach it to my plaining plate on the motor and run toggle switches to the wheel for control . Sounds like a plan.

Why go to that much trouble. They make trolling motors designed to mount on the engine. Here's a link to the Minnkota models.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/engine_mount/freshwater.aspx

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, but in their FAQ's when asked about useing one on a pontoon they say

"No, the boat would have to go up on plane in order for the EM to be out of the water while the main motor is being used. Since pontoons don?t go up on plane, the EM wouldn?t come out of the water and would cause too much drag."

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, but in their FAQ's when asked about useing one on a pontoon they say

"No, the boat would have to go up on plane in order for the EM to be out of the water while the main motor is being used. Since pontoons don?t go up on plane, the EM wouldn?t come out of the water and would cause too much drag."

Right that is what I read, Im trying to design one with a arm that raises and lowers out of the water but still connected to the plain plate. There is no problem extending behind the motor a couple of feet.

Perlmudder

Seaman Apprentice

Seems like a lot of work for very little in gas savings. I would imagine you would have to run the jet ski at 2500+rpm to achieve any sort of decent fwd thrust.