Placement of navigation light on pontoon boat

bobbarone56

Cadet
I just bought a pontoon and am trying to get it ready for the water but was wondering where is the preferred navigation light placement should i have a single red green on the front of the top and white on the back or have red and green at front of deck and the white at the stern
Thanks in advance

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Placement of navigation light on pontoon boat

boatlites.gif

that should help

Last edited:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just bought a pontoon and am trying to get it ready for the water but was wondering where is the preferred navigation light placement should i have a single red green on the front of the top and white on the back or have red and green at front of deck and the white at the stern
Thanks in advance
Separate red and green on the bow and the white at the stern high enough to be viewable from 360 degrees.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Pontoons typically have the red and green lights mounted on the deck at each corner.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Good nav lights are literally a life saver, I have really good led ones that are visible form 3 nautical miles on mine since I night fish almost exclusivly.

Have almost hit several people who didn't have lights on at night.

As stated 2 lights up front, red port side(left) green starboard and the all around, and make sure there isn't anything in front of the deck lights.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just another idea mine has Side-mounted lights to the rail instead of deck mounted lights.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Just saw the thread and thought I'd add two cents worth. The statement about the white anchor light being visible for 360 degrees is per coast guard rules. HOWEVER, most watercraft provide a two or three foot light pole for the white light to mount on the boat. When the anchor light is on, and a normal person is setting in the craft, the body breaks the visibility of the light. I always set the white light at a distance of 6 1/2 to 7 foot above the deck. I have always thought money is better in my wallet than it is in the local wildlife/conservation, lake patrol headquarters. I don't trust them varmits.

Also, the navigation lights are to be visible to the front of the vehicle and, I believe 135 degrees to each side. (total of 270 degrees), The logic for this is that the navigation lights should not be seen from the rear of the vessel, only from the front. If I have read the regulations correctly, no other lights are to be visible from a vessel during periods of reduced visibility. This means no hard wired/mounted spot lights to aid in night operations, no pretty red, green, blue etc. lights inside the boat which may confuse the operator of another vessel. Additional lights may be used in docking.

The coast guard does not enforece these regulations, they may assist in moving a vessel operating in an unsafe condition the the nearst shore...overloaded boats, intoxicated operators, etc. Most states have accepted the coast guard rules for interland waterways as state legislation. The state and federal goverment can issue citations for violations of the rules.

Think what I have attempted to state is correct. I am sure that if I have erred, others with more knowledge will set all of us straight.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just another idea mine has Side-mounted lights to the rail instead of deck mounted lights.

mine has the old original 1964 origanal side mounted lights and you have to seal the bulbs or when water hits em, they shatter

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's mine. Red and green on the front corners and white in the rear. Sticks through the cover when the bimini is folded.
400070484.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Here's mine. Red and green on the front corners and white in the rear. Sticks through the cover when the bimini is folded.
View attachment 125211
Wow almost the same as our 18 ft Starcraft. I found the lights suseptable to being smashed at the dock.Not at the cottage nor can I remember just where it happened.
We sold the boat several years ago.But I replaced at least 3 lights over about 5 years.

bobbarone56

Cadet

Thanks to all for the input i got my lights set up and operating red port side green starboard side in the front ,and a 360 white atop my top my boat has a fold up top that you have to put up to operate. the boat did have lights but they were the battery operated kind and they didnt work they had the red/green on the front of the top and the 360 white in the back i was pretty sure this wasnt right. but its all good now even passed our marine police inspection Thanks again to all that replied