rain leaks around snap on cover

samis7

Recruit
I have a new custom made cover for my 22' Sweetwater. The snaps are just below the rail around the boat and along the bottom of the deck in the front. Everytime it rains, I find a wet floor around the side doors and in a few other places. I thought the cover would prevent water from coming in and would keep my boat dry. Since I am new to pontoon boating, I am not sure if I should be trying to keep the floor dry or not. Is the carpet designed to get wet repeatedly or should I try to keep it dry? Do I need a complete cover over the entire hull down to the pontoons? I trailer with the cover on, and did not experience any problems. Is this a mistake?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: rain leaks around snap on cover

I would not trailer with the cover on unless you know it is designed to withstand sustained 50 and 60 mph winds, some are, but most aren't.

I would go back to the guy that made the cover and ask him why it is leaking where it is. I would think that a new custom made cover would be relatively water tight.

Your carpet is designed for the outdoors, but like anything else the longer you keep from all of the elements like the rain and sun the longer it will be nice.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never seen a cover that was 100% water tight. A little water on the carpet will not hurt anything unless left unattended for a long time. Mildew can build up if sufficient air flow is not allowed. If electric is available, use a small fan or dehumidifier. Otherwise, open it up even more to allow for air flow and don't worry about a little water.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is a boat and is intended to get wet and the covers aren't suppose to completely seal the boat, if they did then water from swimming ect would never dry and you would have a terrible mildew problem.

The carpet and wood in the baot are designed to get wet so you are fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless the cover goes down to the deck all the way around, there is no way it can keep the carpet dry. The rails are not sealed to the deck so the carpet can "wick" water under the rail. The gates are also positioned slightly above the deck so they can swing open which also allows water entry. Water can get through the cover at the seams so they, and the entire cover should be treated with a water proofing periodically. And not "tenting" the cover properly allows water to pool, the cover sags and again, drips inside through the seams.

samis7

Recruit

Thanks to all for the quick answers. I am contacting the cover maker so I will know just exactly the purpose and function of my cover. I get the impression that a pontoon kept outdoors will get wet and is designed to be wetted and allowed to dry. I am used to a fishing boat that I previously owned. I always kept it dry.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard samis. What you're experiencing is normal and is nothing to be concerned about. It's good to keep most of the wet weather out of your barge, but the main concern is the sun, which your custom cover is blocking effectively. I assume you're already tenting it with push poles. If not, you need to go ahead and tend to that soon. You should have no problems towing with that cover.:cool:

samis7

Recruit

Thanks to all, I talked to the cover maker. He explained the same things you all have told me. It is a moring cover, meant to be able to take off and put on while the boat is docked, and never meant to be 100% waterproof. He suggested to trailer without it when possible.