Speed of a Pontoon

Bigjack27

Recruit
Hey boaters, I just purchased a 95 Triton 20' pontoon boat with a 96 75 hp Force. The boat seemed slow so I put a GPS on it and got the speed. 14 to 15 mph full speed. Is this normal or could I possably have some type of problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Speed of a Pontoon

That sounds a little low. I would guess more like 20MPH. But if the WOT RPM's are within the stated range of the motor, and if the toons have no water in them, and the prop is not all banged up, then the speed will be whatever it is.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That sounds a little low. I would guess more like 20MPH. But if the WOT RPM's are within the stated range of the motor, and if the toons have no water in them, and the prop is not all banged up, then the speed will be whatever it is.

+1. So, fill in eglide's blanks as follows:

1. What are your RPMs supposed to be at WOT and what are they currently.
2. What's the condition of your prop? That one's easy.
3. Is there any water in your toons? Shake the front of the boat while it's trailered and you'll find out pronto.

If all that checks out look into your motor's performance.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just based on what you have, if the motor isn't wore out, you should be faster than that. My 18 footer with a 50hp will go 23mph according to gps and my boat only has 2 toons.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 20' Starcraft with a 2001 75hp Merc. With just me on the boat on a calm day I can run 23mph ( 5300rpm - GPS). So, yes, I think you're running a little slow.
Mike

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 20' Starcraft with a 2001 75hp Merc. With just me on the boat on a calm day I can run 23mph ( 5300rpm - GPS). So, yes, I think you're running a little slow.
Mike

You know this makes me think that my boat must be a great setup to get the speed I do, cause I hear similar comments just like what you stated. I can get 23mph whether it's me with the top down, 4 people and the top up, pulling a tube with 2 people, etc. Consistent little thing.

Bigjack27

Recruit

Mike
Thanks Mike and everyone for replying. The prop is in good shape, my RPMs go no higher than 5000, the toons are empty (two toons), could it be the throdle cable needs adjustment? Or maybe a different prop?

fubar007

Cadet

26 foot Crest III 90 HP inline 6 Merc. 2 adults 2 kids 28 WOT