New Toon- Lowe 252

vagrunt64

Recruit
First off, long time reader, love the forum. You guys are awesome. On to the questions. I?m a first time boat buyer and have been looking for over a year. I found a 2006 Lowe Jamaica 252 Tri-toon with a 2006 Merc Optimax 150. The ad SAYS it only has 60 hours, but I am skeptical. The asking price is 24,900, but I?m planning on talking him down if I can. What Im asking is for opinions on the Lowe pontoons. I have looked around, but have not found much on reviews, tests, etc. I have already rejected 2 boats after my wrench did his checks and, hopefully, this one goes under the microscope on Monday. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks

Attachments

• 99261878_24thumb_550x410[1].jpg
    99261878_24thumb_550x410[1].jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 99261878_1thumb_550x410[1].jpg
    99261878_1thumb_550x410[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: New Toon- Lowe 252

From the outside pics, looks like they took care of it. Having a Merc. mechanic put it on the computer should tell you the complete history of the motor. That, and a good water test should do the trick. Like everyone says, not much you can't see while inspecting a toon. By the way, my folks aren't that far from you, in Plano. Good luck !!!

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think most here would agree that the Lowes pontoon is a middle-of-the-road boat and is certainly not at the low end. And the Optimax 150 is as the top end of motors for that boat.

IMHO, while I'm not familiar witht the Dallas area boat market, I think the asking price is too much for a 5 year old boat. I would try to get it for about 20 grand. And I know you guys have had some killer heat recently, but the end of the boating season is getting near so keep that in mind as you negotiate.

And welcome to the forum and report back your final decision.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You need to really watch pontoon reviews, most are done by magazines that rely on the manufacturers for ad revenue so they aren't going to be real honest about any boat, I have been reading Pontoon and Deck boat magazine for years and have never once ever seen them print anything even close to negative about a boat.

I am with Eglide, Lowe is a decent mid line boat and are made with the Suncruiser line, both are OMC orphans, they were owned by OMC until they went belly up in the early 2000s thenw ere bought by a private investor.

The price seems way out of line for a 6 year old boat, make an offer and don't be afraid to walk away and come back, at that price I don't think it will be selling anytime soon but I don't know your market, that may be what they go for down there.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As 5150 said that seems way high price wise. Market for toons must be good where you are, he wouldn't get close to that number here in VA

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a Bennington 2275Rl pontoon boat with 2003 125 HP Mercury motor near me that selling for 12.5K now it is a 2002, but it is excellent condition and it is a Bennington which is a top class toon

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a Bennington 2275Rl pontoon boat with 2003 125 HP Mercury motor near me that selling for 12.5K now it is a 2002, but it is excellent condition and it is a Bennington which is a top class toon
Heck, I'd like to know more about that!

vagrunt64

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice. I went and looked at it. Looks good structurally, but its going to need some cleaning. carpet and seats mostly. Im waiting on the owner to respond to my bid.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

vagrunt64, I want to apologize for the minor hi-jack of your thread, I am having a hard time finding a boat I want and I got a bit excited.

Good luck, I hope you get what you want for what you want to pay!

treker

Seaman

Thanks for all the advice. I went and looked at it. Looks good structurally, but its going to need some cleaning. carpet and seats mostly. Im waiting on the owner to respond to my bid.

Not to be rude but at that price I would expect it to be cleaned and ready to go. Hope you bid south of the asking price

treker

Seaman

vagrunt64, I want to apologize for the minor hi-jack of your thread, I am having a hard time finding a boat I want and I got a bit excited.

Good luck, I hope you get what you want for what you want to pay!

No kidding about finding something that is what you want, when I started looking for a pontoon boat 2 years ago I could not belive the condition of the toons I went to look at. They were advertized as great condition, not bad for the year(if it was 1900) and so forth. Granted I was not out to spent a fortune, wanted to see if I would like the toon along with the family, but I would be embarrassed to show 85% of what I looked at. Finally got a 2000 Sun Tracker PB 21 for mid 6K, good trial boat, and now that I know that I like toons will look for something with a larger motor and may move to 24' but I can take my time to find what I want. And I will be able to get my money back out of this toon or just may keep it and have 2

Attachments

• boatkids in town 008.jpg
    boatkids in town 008.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boatkids in town 011.jpg
    boatkids in town 011.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0