Pontoon Seat Mold - Yuk

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Due to vacation and other this n' that, it's been about a month since we had our pontoon out. It is stored outdoors but has a very nice snap on cover. Today when I took the cover off there was a lot of mold, mainly on the tops of the seats. I had some mold and mildew remover (made for boats) and it worked pretty well, though there are some areas I'll have to hit a second time.

With all that said, I'm wondering a couple of things - is the mold and mildew remover I paid $11-something for basically bleach water? If so, what ratio would be good for killing mold? I used most of a brand new bottle getting it good enough to take out earlier today.

Next, what can a person do to avoid this from happening? We are busy and though we get out as often as we can, it can be 2-3 weeks sometimes that it's left covered and inevitably some nasty blackish mold/mildew will sprout up every time.

Any suggestions on either would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dwight

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon Seat Mold - Yuk

I'm sure there is some bleach in your cleaner but you don't want to use bleach water on a regular basis. Anytime you do, immediately rinse with lots of fresh water.

Mold is caused by a combination of moisture, darkness, and the lack of airflow. Eliminate any one these items and you will not have a mold problem. Uncovering your boat and sitting it in the sun may stop mildew but will obviously cause many other undesireable problems. A dehumidifier is a great choice if you have electricity. A fan under the cover will also help. I've heard of people placing charcoal in open containers under the cover to absorb moisture.

Good luck. Please report back your solution.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've tried lots of products and the best luck came from using Meguiar's Gold Class Leather and Vinyl Cleaner and a "really" soft brissel brush. Spray it on let it sit for a minute or two then lightly scrub, let it sit for another minute then wipe clean. I then wipe everything down with a water damp towel, let dry and use 303

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not necessarily concerned about getting rid of it. My hands smelled like bleach when I was done so I know there was some sort of bleach combination there...

I store this where there isn't electricity, so running a humidifier or fan isn't feasible. Anybody else heard of the charcoal idea?

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

leave an opening at each end of cover to allow for natural air flow. That same humidity will evenually rot your seats and deck, if left covered air tight for extended periods.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I never considered the cover to be air tight... It snaps around the top edge of the sides and front, but does seal up the back completely. There's a decent gap around the front and side gates, but obviously not enough.

Maybe I'm going to have to start opening the front and side gates to allow better air movement.

Jeep Man

Commander

I keep mine covered with a snap down cover as well. My cover is the factory one from Son Tracker and has vents where the poles mount. I get a little surface mold but not bad at all. The boat stays outside all season so the heat from the sun likely keeps it in check. If your doesn't have the vents, they can be added.
BTW, how's the new motor working out?

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey' Ray -

Yes, my cover has three vents where the poles attach. I think it'll ultimately require me being more cognizant of getting to it on days after it's rained and getting a gate or two opened to allow air to move through it freely to dry out whatever moisture gets in there. I live in Iowa and we get some whopper thunder storms in the summer and undoubtedly there's a fair amount of water that gets in there, even with the custom cover intact.

As far as the motor, I am thrilled with it. Sometimes I wish I had went with the 90 hp (I have a 60), but funds didn't allow it at the time and we get by just fine. It runs like a top and I haven't had even one cavitation problem since getting it almost 2 years ago now. Time flies :)

Thanks for remembering me. Those were some amazingly frustrating times for me and apparently my sob stories were frequent enough that I stuck in your brain.

Dwight

Jeep Man

Commander

Hey' Ray -

Yes, my cover has three vents where the poles attach. I think it'll ultimately require me being more cognizant of getting to it on days after it's rained and getting a gate or two opened to allow air to move through it freely to dry out whatever moisture gets in there. I live in Iowa and we get some whopper thunder storms in the summer and undoubtedly there's a fair amount of water that gets in there, even with the custom cover intact.

As far as the motor, I am thrilled with it. Sometimes I wish I had went with the 90 hp (I have a 60), but funds didn't allow it at the time and we get by just fine. It runs like a top and I haven't had even one cavitation problem since getting it almost 2 years ago now. Time flies :)

Thanks for remembering me. Those were some amazingly frustrating times for me and apparently my sob stories were frequent enough that I stuck in your brain.

Dwight
I hear ya Dwight. Had to get a replacement as well and the budget dictated getting another 60 also.