Pontoon for Watersports

Brandt

Cadet
Hello:

I wanted to get opinions on people's experience with pontoons capable of watersports. We currently have an older pontoon that we use for lake cruises and getting out for a swim. It has a 25 hp 4 stroke on it.

We also have an older ski boat with a v8 mercruiser I/O on it. The Ski boat gets used less and less each year, and both boats are starting to show some age aestetically, and the ski boat is getting up there in age mechanically. So we are thinking of trading both in and getting a pontoon boat that from time to time can have a tuber or skier behind it. We know it will likely not be as great for watersports, but that is less of a priority these days.

My main questions: any advantage for getting I/o vs outboard on the new potoon?

Will either motor be quiter while going at slow speeds around the lake?

At slow speeds will either motor keep the boat flatt? or will the front end be way up in the air at slow speeds.

Tritoon i assume is the way to go?

Thanks for any insights.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon for Watersports

I personally would shy away from an I/O powered pontoon just because of the complexity, weight and service difficulty. You currently have a 4-stroke outboard (although small) and that should give you a fair idea of noise level, however the larger 4-stroke outboards are quiet. Pontoons ride pretty flat whether wide open or poking along so bow rise is not an issue. Tri-toon will be faster but a twin-toon with lifting strakes can work as well. A 90 - 125 HP motor will get the job done for water skiing and tubing.

Bifflefan

Commander

+2 for Silvertip
I would opt for the 150HP though. A little more is always better, and if you play your cards right you can get it for the same price.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had an 1989 I/O for 16 years. It had 230 Hp. It would fly . But age was getting to us ,not the boat ,so I sold it and got a Pontoon boat. What a Difference.We love the Pontoon boat with all that room. The engine is a 90 Hp Merc.Two stroke (2007)The biggest problem is getting used to starting it. The V-8 was just like a car. Turn the Key and away you go, I'm not used to turning the key pushing in the choke and letting it Idle for a minute. The V-8 Has to be winterized every year, Oil needs to be changed. If you need an oil filter forget it. A new starter will cost you plenty.Remember it's not like a car, you can't go under it to do any parts replacement. With todays out board engines I'd go with the outboard.

The Rooster

Ensign

Hey Brant, we've always preferred outboards on our barges for the usual reasons stated, ie: easier access, and lighter weight. Triple tubes w/ V6 power are nice and will handle all your watersport needs, but if your not going to be doing this regularly, as others have stated, some manufacturers offer twin tube barges with lifting strakes. This combo w/ 115 hp would suffice, and do so much cheaper. Just my .02. Good luck.