28 HP Johnson carb issue/100:1 mix question

28HPjohnson

Recruit
I recently had a mechanic clean my carb. The needle valve that the bowl float operates has a rubber tip and it was stuck shut. He cleaned it good and put it back together. Now it is stuck again. Do all of these valves have rubber tips? Anyone had this problem? Also, I am running 50:1 but there is a label at the gas line connection that says 100:1. Anyone have one of these 100:1 Johnsons, I heard they only made them for two years. I am wondering if running 50:1 is causing this sticking issue. I was told that even if it says 100:1, it should run fine at 50:1 - just smoke more. I was thinking of trying something betwee 50 and 100:1. Any suggestions?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 28 HP Johnson carb issue/100:1 mix question

The needle should have been replaced (And the carb rebuilt using new parts), not just cleaned and put back in. Johnson/Evinrude at one time recommended a 100:1 mix, but quickly reverted back to 50:1. Continue to run 50:1. It has nothing to do with the needle sticking. The rubber tip gets a ridge around it and will continue to stick.

28HPjohnson

Recruit
Re: 28 HP Johnson carb issue/100:1 mix question

We thought that a thorough cleaning would reset us and it did work for a few days. Nothing was open for parts. Looking back now, i believe you are right, rebuild with new needle valve. Thanks for the input. I will keep the 50:1 too. I have heard that from a few sources, should not make that much difference.
:cool: