Restoration! Flooring and furniture questions.

FiveO

Recruit
We are about to revamp our Spectrum Cruise DLX with new seats and flooring.

We like the idea of a vinyl product but everything we have seen on the boat supply sites is crazy expensive (at least to me). Is vinyl a good choice? Slippery? Durable? Is there a good source for this stuff at a better price or is ther an alternative we should consider?

Regarding furniture, is there a brand or manufacturer that is preferred? We are on a bit of a budget but dont want garbage.

I think we may try to restore our helm and rear decking with carpeting or vinyl to match the seats.

Input?

Thanks!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Restoration! Flooring and furniture questions.

For new seats, try Pontoonstuff.com, Overtons.com, or EverythingPontoon.com. It seems as if you see Wise seats all over the place. Veada.com is a manufacturer that sells direct, and I understand they make seats for some of the really premium pontoon boat brands.

Many people on this site have commented about switching over to vinyl floors, especially with some texture to keep'em from being slippery. They seem to like'em for durability and ease of keeping them clean. I would point you to the internet to Google "boat vinyl flooring." There are a number of industrial/commercial vinyl floors that would do a good job, but they seem to be pretty expensive. There again, most pontoons don't have but 150 square feet or less of flooring.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am presently replacing my floor on a 9 x 28' pontoon. I check out all my options. Marine Plywood has arsenic, copper and chrome. I can't see my grand babies on a floor with those chemicals. Pontoonstuff said just put some carpet on it will be ok. Well if so, why do they only allow CCA on marine. There are some other products around $300 for 32sf. I have gone with 18 pcs of 6" x 26' of galvanized steel. Weighs about the same and cost about the same as marine plywood. One big difference it will last longer than your toons. I am putting carpet from Home Depot on it. They are selling marine carpet now. It was shipped direct to my home. $270 8' 6" x 25'. The dealings I have had with Pontoonstuff has not been pleasant.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That's curious, lucky. I've never known of anyone who didn't love Pontoonstuff, but I digress. Five0, there are carpet alternatives that are made specifically for boats. I have no idea how the pricing compares to carpet, but here's one. http://www.marideck.net/

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks incoop, I checked it out and made some calls and waiting for a call back . I am building a 16' cabin on my toon and I have been looking for some roof deck material. Rubber does get very hot? I was planning on installing a Firestone rubber roof over normal plywood. It comes in one piece 10' x 16'. Then more carpet.

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I suspect that rubber would really heat things up and maybe even trap moisture. Could be wrong about the moisture part as I'm not a roofing expert, but I can tell you from experience the rubber gets toasty. Seems like an unnecessary layer to me. I think your best bet is marine grade plywood covered with the material of your choice (carpet, durabak, marideck, etc.). It will last a very long time and will look nice and be enjoyable. In any case, I think you're right not to use PT wood. It makes sense for some applications, but not yours. Several of the guys have quite a bit of experience with the kind of project you're undertaking. Some of them will be along eventually and will likely give you some very good pointers. Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A study by ERM in 2004 evaluated 33 EPDM roofs in 9 states that had been in place for 16-26 years. ?In all cases, the membranes were found to be watertight and functional with no obvious effect from long-term exposure to water, ultraviolet radiation, ozone, heat and thermal cycling.? [Professional Roofing Magazine, March, 2005]
http://www.flatroofsolutions.com/Black-EPDM-c-2.html

Black EPDM carries a 20 year warranty against weatherability and factory defects.
My roof is flat and used by alot of Motor home Manufactures.

I got prices on the Mari Dek. Very nice people. The price for my roof was $351 10' x 16' not bad.
For the EDPM is $139 plus $80 carpet. $219. Its about about a wash as far as years of service. MuleHide makes a deck covering that has a 20yr gaurantee. Have to figure that out?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The Marideck folks are just down the road from me here in North Little Rock. Let me know how it works out if you end up using it.