motor trim angle on pontoon?

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just bought 85 crest wityh 9.9, seems motor prop is way under boat, like prop to close , motor is not straight up n down, any info?

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: motor trim angle on pontoon?

pontoon also has a bar u pull up n down to raisee n lower motor, like the transem is adjustable

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is nomal. Pontoons sit stern-low to allow for passengers up front. Trim will have neglegible effect on a 9.9hp.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Since it's a 9.9 it should have a pin to accomodate manual trimming.

winterfunguy

Seaman

I agree from will have little effect with a 9.9hp. My 95 28' Manitou has a 90 Evinrude with power trim/tilt and trim has virtually no effect on ride or speed of my boat. I really only use the trim for shallow water. You must remember that a pontoon is not a planing hull design so you can't raise and lower the bow like a planing hull boat. I would recomend adjusting the trim so the prop is pushing parallel to the surface of the water under power, that should make the most efficient use of your engine.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ther shoudl be a pin you can move to get the engine to be pretty much straigh up and down and that si really all you can do.

I have been on toons with I/Os and large 250- 300 hp outboards and even on them trim has a very limited affect.