Will a hydrofoil or dolphin fin work

BombSlinger

Recruit
I have a 24 ft lowe tritoon with no furniture a hard aluminum top a evinrude 115 and a 12 gallon tank on the back. Even with 2 ice chest 4 over 100lbs people up front it still rides low in the rear. I know the dolphin fin helps with plaining out on V hulls im just wondering if anyone has tried putting one on theres to see if it makes a difference with riding a little more level. Im eventually putting furniture across the back which will add more weight causing it to sit lower especially if some one is sitting in the back there about 50 bucks so i may just try it. yalls help would be greatly appreciated:D:D:D

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Will a hydrofoil or dolphin fin work

I would call lowe. I don't think a dolphin fin/ hydra foil will help.
Do you have water in the toons?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Before you go slapping a whale tail on there you need to figure out what's going on. Not sure how much experience you've had with barges, so I may tell you some things you already know, but just bear with me. First, they're supposed to sit lower in the water in back than in front. That helps mitigate the plowing effect. Now, if yours is sitting too low in the back you have an issue that needs to be addressed. For example, you could have water in the toons. In fact, that would be my first guess, but there's no way to know for sure without trailering the boat. So, first establish whether it's really too low in the water or it's just doing what toons do. Second, how is your performance? Barges don't plane per se, so if you're looking for displacement hull type performance you need to get a different type of boat. If you're attaining 28-30 mph at WOT she's probably doing what she's designed to do. If not, there's a problem somewhere. Could be the motor, could be the boat. In any case, whatever the problem is a hydrofoil is not the solution. Find the issue and fix it. We'll help however we can. Welcome aboard.:cool:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Check your tubes for water, with 4 peoale and coolers in fornt the boat should be pretty level so it sounds to me like you lost flotation by getting water in the tubes.

Get it on a trailer and move the boat back and forth and listen to the tubes, if there is water you should here it.

And no for you problem a foil won't work since you need to be moving for them to anything, sitting still the boat will still set to low and even moving they don't have the same efect as they do an a mono hull boat, toons are very different.

BombSlinger

Recruit

Theres no water in them there foam filled and i pulled the plugs just in case it runs about 40mph i guess if what you say is true she should be that way ill show a couple picks so you can see the water level thank for the info oh slso im new to "pontooning" so all the info helps

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, if you're getting 40 mph out of her it's likely she's doing what she's supposed to. That said, it is possible the foam could be waterlogged. If you do have some pics handy put them up when you get a chance. We'll be able to give you an idea of whether she's too low.