Extending pontoon length

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone added an extension to their pontoons.. I think adding a 3ft extension on the back end of each tune would significantly improve ride height. I am real heavy in the stern and don't want to move anything forward. Just a thought but I'd sure like to know if it is possible..

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Extending pontoon length

Instead of doing that maybe I'd try replacing the two x4's with two by six's first. That way you would add more strength and not mess up the trailer.

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Instead of doing that maybe I'd try replacing the two x4's with two by six's first. That way you would add more strength and not mess up the trailer.

I do not understand? x 4's and x six's
On my toon, the motor mount protrudes out past the end of the toons by about 2 ft. and my toons are already a little short on the front of the trailer, so I can just move the toons fwd on the trailer. Adding an extension of 2-3 feet would not cause any trailer problem but seems like it would add a lot of boyancy.

If anyone has pro or con thoughts please chime in..

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is possible of coarse but you would need to get 2 3' sections of tube somewhere and find a pretty good welder.

Call a Monark dealer and see if they can get them from the factory.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3 feet is a lots. Pontoons are designed to be bow-high in the water because when it is loaded near max, most of that weight is on the bow. You can create a dangerous situation if the bow is too low when loaded.

Silver Eagle

The bad part about moving your pontoon boat forward is With docking and pulling the boat out of the water. Pontoon boats don't have a center point like a V bottom boat does. So you have two bows one on each side. and when you make a turn you could hit your tow Vehicle on the side causing a lot of damage. I saw a guy do that last year hit the rear fender and did almost a $1,000.00 damage. As for not knowing what 2x4 and 2x6 is, look under your pontoon boat, that's the wood that holds up your boat.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I understand what you are asking and silver Eagle further confused everyone , bottom line the tubes need to be welded on and I think you're asking for a huge expense and hassle for little gain

I have no idea what SE was talking about adding more X 6's:facepalm:

unless are you suggestion he add more deck in the front ?? cause that what it seems like you are referencing adding docking and hitting the tow vehicle....??? :confused:

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

If you are talking about doing something to raise the rear of your boat while under way. Let me relate what I did:

I have a 24' JC Tritoon powered by a M/C 470, I/O. As with most pontoon boats mine sets pretty low in the water in the rear. I had a 14"x19 pitch prop on and when I would cruise the rear of the boat did raise up at cruising speed but was still low in the rear. I switched to a 16"x15 pitch prop and now I can see the rear drain plugs when I cruise and the toons cruise on top of the water. Also I gained pushing power and can cruise at 28 mph at 3/4 throttle with 8 adults on board.

SparkieBoat

Captain

have you considered adding a 3rd toon along the middle??

Silver Eagle

I guess I read your post wrong. Now why would you want to lengthen your Toons any longer ?And where would you find them ?? Wouldn't it be easier to just get longer toons or a longer boat.? Do you have any pictures of you Pontoon boat. ?

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

What I was thinking was finding some damaged toons (of proper diameter), cutting 2.5 - 3ft off the rear section and then welding them onto the back end of my toons, thus adding more bouyancy to the rear.
I thought of adding a 3rd toon but thought the cost would be to high as I already have a motor pod which would have to be removed and the new 3rd toon must have a built in motor pod.
IMG_0354.JPG

I have seen 3rd toons added toward the front of the boat but that won't help my goal to raise the rear. I would like to add a built in 27 gal fuel tank (v-tank into the motor well) but the added weight would have the motor under water.
YES, a larger boat would do just fine BUT...... This just seemed like a workable idea, but maybe not.

Last edited:

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Does that gull wing on your lower unit help any?

This remains an interesting question.. My initial test say NO. Although it definately raises the rear of the boat by 3-6 inches under WOT, the speed actually decreases. This was a big disappointment. (btw this is the SE Sport 300). Here is an interesting twist. When I did the initial testing the boat was loaded with just my wife and I. I tested with and without the hydrofoil. The speed dropped 1-4 mph with the foil installed. BUT
I recently tested the boat, with the foil on and loaded with 2 adultd and 3 large grandkids and a fully day of groceries (like a full jiffy store full). I did this same test without the foil last year and got 7-8 mph fully loaded.
With this same load and with the foil, my speed increased to 10-12 mph AND if I moved everyone forward, the speed hit 15mph..
This was a major improvement!
RESULT - I need more weight up front OR higher lift in the rear which is one of the reason for this thread. YES, I have tried all sorts of trim positions but what I need is more inward tilt. (the bottom of the engine toward the front) At it's full trim in, I get the best speed.

the rear of my boat just runs too low in the water under power.

Silver Eagle

Before I bought my pontoon boat I had a 21 ft Bowrider with a 230 hp I/O, Three blade prop.I tried the Gull wing And it made the boat vibrate until I was up on Plane. And I lost about 5mph on the top end. It also made it harder to turn fast. I even tried a four blade prop. The best set up was what the factory had. Three blades no gull wing. Now I have a 24 ft Pontoon boat with a 90 HP Merc two strokw. Big difference.It's hard to figure out what to do about the prop tilting (trim).Do I want the boat to be level and shoot across the top of the water or do I want the front end out of the water for less drag.?My biggest problem is The boat is used in the Chesapecke Bay upper end. Some times the waves get pretty rough and High. I''ve had water come in through the front door.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone suggested moving the transom mount further forward toward the front and building supports for your gas tanks on the side???

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Has anyone suggested moving the transom mount further forward toward the front and building supports for your gas tanks on the side???

NO! What a great thought. I need to investigate this option! It sure fits in my budget.. Anyone else out there ever do something like this?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't think you can move it far enough forward to do any good, you only have 2' or so and part of the speed comes from the set back, it clears more deck space and gets the engine in cleaner water.

If you go beyond that you are into cutting the deck and new rails ect and you are right back up to major money.

if you move the engine forward you may have a problem blowing out.

If you need weight up front move your gas into the front, you will lose some storage but solve your problem but even that won't get you much it si only 84lbs and that is a full 12 gallons.

You might have to just accept that that is what your boat will do and let it go at that.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

What if he moves both the motor up 2 feet and the fuel tanks to the front??? Also if he does move the motor up 2 feet and does have a problem with blowing out couldn't he solve that with a different pitch?? Or is he stuck??? Just throwing ideas out there.