how to lift pontoon from trailer, to work on trailer and pontoons??

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
OK, i have a problem, I am stripping old epoxy paint from the pontoons :( , and I need to be able to get under the pontoons to strip it there as well. I have the pontoon bunk style trailer rather than a center lift. I also have a few small holes in the pontoons at this point that I need to braze up so I need room to work both for stripping the paint and for the torch. :facepalm: and then so that I can repaint them.
So how do I safely lift the boat up off of the trailer? I was thinking fir 4x4s to build a stand, and lift it with floor jacks then stiffen the 4x4 structure with plywood. Is this the right way to do it? How close to the pontoons must I set the wood, and is 4"x 4' long enough to spread the weight without damaging the frame? :confused:
If anyone has a picture it would be wonderful to see. :rolleyes:

Sean

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: how to lift pontoon from trailer, to work on trailer and pontoons??

I would do one side at a time and yes, an 8' 4x4 would spread the load enough to not cause damage, the tube itself will give you the longitudinal strength.

If you do one a t a time the trailer gives you a big safety advantage, getting the whole boat in the air could get a little hairy, if it slides off one way or the other you will have a real mess.

As to the brazing, if you aren't very acomplished at this please don't start on your boat, I have been TIG welding aluminum for 24 years and really don't think I could flame weld aluminum, it is very very hard to do correctly and it just isn't the way to fix a small hole because you heat such a large area, you are way more likely to really screw up your boat, possibly to where it can't be repaired.

Best to leave that to an actual welder, in the end I think it will be alot cheaper.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do a search here. Lots of threads on this question.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

I will be doing a better search, i must admit I was a tad lazy on this one. I will correct that.

As to welding the aluminum, I don't have much experience... brazing aluminum radiators, and repairing aluminum components, an fabricating water cooled aluminum headers for gasoline powered R/C boats I am rather familiar with. The only thing scary about it in my book is that there is about a 50*F difference between the aluminum brazing material melting and the base metal, with good flux the result is almost inevitably beautiful. It's been a few yrs so i am trying to find my flux at this moment... but have the braze material ready.

Sean

Jeep Man

Commander

This method is safe and can be done by one person. I did it, and that's saying something. Maybe I've created my first STICKY.

-Position your boat with about a foot of toon hanging over the rear of the bunk
-Disconnect the trailer from your vehicle and lower the tongue all the way to the ground. Use caution when disconnecting. You may have negative tongue weight, requiring you to add temporary extra weight to the front of your trailer.
-Block up each toon at the rear with 4x4s in a square stacking pattern.
-Raise the tongue as high as you can using your tongue jack.
-Place a 12ft length of 4x4 across under the bow and block up each end in a similar manner as the rear.
-lower the tongue and pull the trailer out.
-add another stack of 4x4s at the center of the 12 ft. 4x4 for added stability and safety.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

Well, that sounds safe, stable, easy to accomplish. I would think that you should get a sticky for it. It is also cleanly and clearly written.... heck even i can understand those directions... and it covers every aspect of my uncertainty. Thank you... oh and after a lengthy search... I was rather unimpressed with the results so this is a boon to me. I will post back on sunday or so and let you know if i broke the boat or got squashed.

Sean

Bigbobdallas

Seaman

That is a great deal of advice to follow. I am going to do that same thing in the drive of my house so I can paint and refurbish the trailer. Thanks And was you deserve a Sticky for sure

Bigbobdallas

Seaman

That is a great deal of advice to follow. I am going to do that same thing in the drive of my house so I can paint and refurbish the trailer. Thanks And yes you deserve a Sticky for sure:)

Jeep Man

Commander

Well, that sounds safe, stable, easy to accomplish. I would think that you should get a sticky for it. It is also cleanly and clearly written.... heck even i can understand those directions... and it covers every aspect of my uncertainty. Thank you... oh and after a lengthy search... I was rather unimpressed with the results so this is a boon to me. I will post back on sunday or so and let you know if i broke the boat or got squashed.

Sean

Sean, if you get killed, don't come cryin' to me.:D

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

no worries....I will send bro in law in 1st :) ... I finally found a use for inlaws!
j/k well sort of, I will make sure things are stable 1st before anyone goes underneath. I think I may have to do this more than once... so likely I am going to make a cradle of some sort and use your method of removing boat from trailer. You wouldn't believe how chicken I am about things falling on me or others..... might have to do with all the OSHA classes I have been too. With that in mind it appears you engineered most of the danger out of the process.

Sean