Trolling Motor in Pontoon Boat

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice
I'm getting all set to purchase a Terrova 55 Trolling Motor with I-pilot. I was curious if any pontoon boat owners had a Terrova installed on your pontoon boat. If so, how do you like it installed on a pontoon? Any problems? Thanks for any replies.

gilby1955

Cadet
Re: Trolling Motor in Pontoon Boat

how big is the toon? i have a 80 on mine and it works fine

I'm getting all set to purchase a Terrova 55 Trolling Motor with I-pilot. I was curious if any pontoon boat owners had a Terrova installed on your pontoon boat. If so, how do you like it installed on a pontoon? Any problems? Thanks for any replies.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 55# thrust wireless on my 21' pontoon and its doing a great job. I don't have that brand but a 55# is a 55#.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 for a 55 being enough for most pontoons. I have a 55 Autopilot MinnKota on my 19 foot boat that does a great job with one group 27 Interstate battery. I have it on a MinnKota slide in mount right in the bow, it swings back through the gate to stow underway and comes off quickly to stow while on the tralier.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

At Bennington or standard troller is a Motorguide 55 so that is fine, just be sure to get the longest shaft you can.

Bigger is always better but 55 is about as big as you can go without going to 24 volts.

I have one of the Motorguides on my fishing boat and they get really good "mileage", I have trolled for a long time and not drained the battery.

The other thing is you will want 2 batteries with this, a house bat and a starter, don't just use the starting battery or you will surely get stranded with a dead battery.

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies and comments! I've got a 21' pontoon boat with 24" toons. I was planning on getting a 55# thrust with a 54 " shaft. I think that'll work just fine. I only want a 12 volt because of the one battery thing. Yes, I will still have a seperate battery for the starter to. I notice the Minn Kota "pontoon trolling motor" is offered in a 45' shaft only???? I think that would be too short on choppy water so I'm sticking with the 54" shaft. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can try it out. :cool: