wiring up a pontoon

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know i am wearing out the iboats forum, (but this place is addictive to someone restoring an old boat)(its really nice to get outside opinions) anyway
the question is i want to go with 2 batterys on the boat when i am done, now i am planning on going with 2 seperate batterys (not going to have any switch what so ever)(keeping the systems seperate) 1 for the motor, and 1 for lights, stereo, fish finder, etc.. now i am worried i would run the battery for the lights and everyhing else down pretty quick, here is everything the boat will have,
i relize the more you use the stereo the more it would pull, i imagine that would be the biggest killer of the battery
and of course everything will be fused, and both batterys will be marine

marine stereo 160 watts
anchor light, 10 watt bulb
running lights, 2/10 watt bulbs
a cigeratte lighter
garmin fish finder
aux lights (no more then 3)
horn
any suggestions

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: wiring up a pontoon

The biggest battery killer is a trolling motor so you should be fine, and with 2 batts if you run the one down you can still start, you just won't be able to listen to the stereo.

That will be fine, I ran a single boat bat for a long time and we ran light stereo and a troller and only ran out of power whe I forgot to charge the battery.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do have a small trolling motor but use it only in emegancies, and the every now and then

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One battery will run your load with no problem. How do you plan on charging the second battery? Do yourself a favor and install a switch if you really want two batteries. Having one battery just for the motor is a waste. That battery would only be used to start the motor and then it would be charging during the remainder of the run time. A switch is usefull in case one does run down or go bad and will equalize the life of the batteries if you will use the even/odd day schedule. (On even days, use battery #2. On odd days, use battery #1)

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont believe my motor has a charging system on it, its a 1977 75 hp johnson stinger, so i would recharge the batterys with a charger

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That motor should have a charging sytem on it, But I would put in a switch so ya can flip it on to charge the batt. when ya motor is running, Thats what I did,,

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

how could i tell on that motor? where would the generator/ alternator be? off the flywheel

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Simple to check, check voltage on battery with engine off then start the boat and if the voltage goes up it is working if not probably not.

Do not ever disconnect the cables whe the engine is running, it will fry your rectifier.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Magnets under the flywheel spin past stator coils to produce alternating current (hence the term alternator). A rectifier converts that AC power to DC for charging purposes. If you don't understand how a dual battery switch works then install an automatic charge relay (ACR) or voltage sensing relay (VSR). These are automatic devices that route the charging current from the engine to battery #2 ONLY after battery #1 (the starting battery) is fully charged. Otherwise the two batteries remain isolated.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnets under the flywheel spin past stator coils to produce alternating current (hence the term alternator). A rectifier converts that AC power to DC for charging purposes. If you don't understand how a dual battery switch works then install an automatic charge relay (ACR) or voltage sensing relay (VSR). These are automatic devices that route the charging current from the engine to battery #2 ONLY after battery #1 (the starting battery) is fully charged. Otherwise the two batteries remain isolated.

Great suggestion except if the poster doesn't know how to install a simple dual battery switch, he'll never properly connect an ACR or VSR.

Virgil, regardless of your decision, we will all be glad to provide you with the proper directions when you decide the path you will take.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Great suggestion except if the poster doesn't know how to install a simple dual battery switch, he'll never properly connect an ACR or VSR.

Virgil, regardless of your decision, we will all be glad to provide you with the proper directions when you decide the path you will take.

We don't know that -- do we? He previously stated he doesn't want a switch and it doesn't matter why. We suggested it because it is a good idea. I suggested the ACR/VSR for the same reason. It is a suggestion, not a demand.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

We don't know that -- do we? He previously stated he doesn't want a switch and it doesn't matter why. We suggested it because it is a good idea. I suggested the ACR/VSR for the same reason. It is a suggestion, not a demand.

yea, I can wire a switch, just wanting to avoid an extra switch as much as possible, (just to keep it simple, one more thing to go out, cost that much more etc, etc, etc, )
and we dont live on our boat ( i,ll just rotate batterys after a few days or so)
i know how to check the charging system but it will be spring before i get the motor fired up, (to check the chargeing system)
now as far as an acr, or vsr, that thought hadnt even crossed my mind,
another thing to consider
what would the disadvantages to them be?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't think of the brand name right now, (Yandina?) but I have a battery combiner that takes the charge from the motor and applies it to the house battery when the starting battery reaches about 13.5 volts. It then drops the starting battery from the circuit when the combined batteries go below about 12.5 volts. It is the simplest kind of device I've seen to charge two batteries from one engine and then isolate the starting battery so it doesn't get killed by the stereo and what not. This is a simple inexpensive device that anyone who can read and follow simple instructions can install.

http://www.yandina.com/combInfo.htm

Yandina link.

I also seem to remember that these are not for sealed AGM or "six pack" batteries, although the website now lists an optional device to allow for use with those batteries too.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good points. My apologies to vergil.

your fine EGligeRider, i could see where you would have thought how i couldnt wire a 2 position switch, (i coulda worded the thread post better) i just kinda wanted to stay away from them (they seem a bit high for what they are, for the ones that are avaible to me, and i am on sumwhat of a budget. I aint for sure the chargeing system is up to par on the old johnson
thanks for the replies they have been very helpful

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

vergil, about the only thing that can go wrong on the charging system is the stator or rectifier. If you find you need a stator I have one I'll treat you right on, one guy on a budget to another. Your weather will break before ours so if you find you need it send me a pm and I'll hook you up. I have the entire mid section and lower unit if you need them too.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

vergil, about the only thing that can go wrong on the charging system is the stator or rectifier. If you find you need a stator I have one I'll treat you right on, one guy on a budget to another. Your weather will break before ours so if you find you need it send me a pm and I'll hook you up. I have the entire mid section and lower unit if you need them too.

thank you, you will recieve a message in your inbox if i do need it,
i appreciate it very much