pics of where you put your furniture and why

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class
This could turn into a pretty cool post, can i see where everyone else put there captains console, seats, throttle box, etc...( Looking for ideas )
I am redoing an older pontoon and am getting all new seats, console etc.. but the ads on craigslist where getting old and not good pics, where do you all store your anchors?
I was thinking about making a hatch to the space between the pontoons and the deck for storage, for stuff that can get a little wet.
How many batterys do you have on your pontoons if you put on a radio/cd player on your boat, I imagine at least 2
where do you put your fishin poles? I was gonna mount that berkley horizontal rod holder to the railings?
Does anyone sleep on there boat? if so where do you sleep? on the deck with an air mattress?
I could go on and on but you get the idea,

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: pics of where you put your furniture and why

I would go to pontoon web sites and(they are all listed at the bottom of the forum) and look there, you will see every possible combination.

I rebuilt my boat a couple years ago, it is a fishing boat but it was nice to be ablke to do anything I wanted to it as I rebuilt it.

The livewell bugged me so I moved it and a couple other things so now I have as close to a perfect boat as budget allows.

I am sure you will get alot of pics though, doesn't take alot of proding to get guys to show off their boats.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thats the cool thing about a pontoon you can set it up for almost anything.
You could have a floating patio. even with a cooker/charcoal/gas grill.
Maybe a porch glider. or those plastic adirondacks chairs. you can stack em for easy storage.Very comfortable yet cost next to nothing and weigh much less than factory furniture. I've seen toons with a deck over the motor and rear of the boat.
Instead of a formal captians console get a stick steer and set yourself off to the side with a control panel just big enough for the key gauges/controls.Maybe fold the panel against the rail when not in use. Put the captian on the rear platform for a better view.Inflatable sleep matresses with a 12 volt pump
and maybe a dump valve for quick deflation.Storage under the floor,build a box and just put one of those plastic totes in it.Might even be water resistant with the lid snapped in place.box would likely need a drain.If you put a skin on the bottom of the frame it would lessen the drag and create a relatively dry area for totes.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The primary use for the boat will determine what furniture is best and where it goes will be a matter of personal preference. If you intend to do a lot of fishing then look for front or four-corner fishing layouts. If the boat is primarily a cruiser and little or no fishing is done from it, then there are a gazillion combinations and layouts at manufacturer websites. Whatever layout you come up with, you want to be very careful about load distribution. Get too many folks up front and you can build yourself a submarine real quick. If you take a wave over the bow of a pontoon it immediately begins to submarine until the prop comes out of the water. It then pops back up with tremendous rearward energy that can toss people to the deck or even overboard. So my advice it so limit the number of seats you put full forward.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

it will be used for a little bit of everything, fishing, tubing, going to that cove on the side of the lake, etc,
great ideas guys keep em coming,

Jeep Man

Commander

This could turn into a pretty cool post, can i see where everyone else put there captains console, seats, throttle box, etc...( Looking for ideas )
I am redoing an older pontoon and am getting all new seats, console etc.. but the ads on craigslist where getting old and not good pics, where do you all store your anchors?
I was thinking about making a hatch to the space between the pontoons and the deck for storage, for stuff that can get a little wet.
How many batterys do you have on your pontoons if you put on a radio/cd player on your boat, I imagine at least 2
where do you put your fishin poles? I was gonna mount that berkley horizontal rod holder to the railings?
Does anyone sleep on there boat? if so where do you sleep? on the deck with an air mattress?
I could go on and on but you get the idea,

If you are using a bunk trailer, then no problem. But if you want to use a scisssor trailer, a lower box between the pontoons will get in the way.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a thought that hadnt crossed my mind, good thinking jeep man, as i plan to 1 day get a better trailer

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

heres a few pic of our Pontoon set up. 1. We placed two 28" seats facing each other up front as that's where the kids usually want to be, they also get alot of floor space because sometime they like to lay around or just spread out. 2. the rear Lounge area in more comfortable and creates a conversation area for the adults to mingle. This set up works for us and our lifestyle. :)

1295194855.jpg

1295194939.jpg

Crazyju

Seaman

I set my up for fishing and grilling.The empty space on the left has floor mounts for chairs and a grill, and a small coleman refrig.
IMG_0003-400.jpg

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Silvertip, checkout the manufacturers websites, they have their floorplans online.

I'd forget using a CD player and get a stereo that has an auxiliary input for an MP3 player. It takes a lot more juice to turn the CD and push the sound. Satellite radio might suit your needs too.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also just start going to each pontoon manufacturer's website. Bennington, Manitou, Sun Tracker, all of these have a lot of different layouts that can give you a great idea for your custom boat.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

mine is coming along nicely, I should be able to provide pics of the whole deal... however best i can do at this moment is a few snapshots off of the google sketchup i did of her that we are working off of to make into reality.iboats2.jpgiboats.jpg

there are a few reasons for the layout 1st off is my wife is in a wheelchair and needs room. second is that i have a 3yr old who needs room..... and of course main mission is mellow fishing trips.

the rear seat behind the captains chair at the helm holds a toilet and audio amplifier, the other seat opposite holds 3 deep cycles and a 2400w power inverter, fwd of that holds 10 life jackets. There will be a 120qt cooler turned into an upolstered seat in front of the helm outside... still not sure where the live well will go. and the swivel chairs outside in front will be removable and stowable.
between the two rear seats is a "doghouse" that allowed me to scoot the cabin back 2ft and have access to 3 sides of the engine on the water from inside the boat.
I really doubt that anyone else is going to follow my floor plan, but i figured it unique enough to warrent posting with the intent that someone might glean an idea or two.

Sean

Last edited:

kbish

Cadet

heres a few pic of our Pontoon set up. 1. We placed two 28" seats facing each other up front as that's where the kids usually want to be, they also get alot of floor space because sometime they like to lay around or just spread out. 2. the rear Lounge area in more comfortable and creates a conversation area for the adults to mingle. This set up works for us and our lifestyle. :)

sorry to threadjack here but i recently picked up an old pontoon that i will be redoing and have also been looking heavily into how i want to set up the furniture. i've gotta ask, how well do you like that flip flop seat at the helm? that hadn't even crossed my mind but i think i like it

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've driven a couple with the flip flop seats and there are benefits and there are some negative sides as well. Of course it's great especially if your going to be putting a table in the rear of the pontoon and you can fit even a couple people on it depending on their size. Another plus side of the flip flop is most of them have more storage underneath your seat. For being the captain it's nice if you need something to just stand up and pick your seat up and have whatever it is right underneath you. The only thing I don't like about it is the comfort. Usually if your the captain and your going to be sitting there A LOT, you'd want something more of the nice captain's chair, more fitted and comfortable in my opinion. They swing around too remember so you get some part of the luxury of a flip flop seat. Just like a lot of the answers on this forum though, it's all about your preferences. :)