Change Pontoon to Tritoon?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would it make sense to change my 24' Hydra pontoon to a tritoon? I figure it would take another pontoon and fabrication of brackets to bolt it to the existing deck (haven't worked out all details yet). First, I am trying to work out if it would give me any advantage to change to a tritoon.

It has a 70hp Force on it now, and will do 20, maybe 22 mph downhill. I am told that tritoons are faster, I suppose because the additional toon give the boat more boyancy and if there is less boat in the water you can go faster.

What I don't know is if they ride better or worse, if I will see more speed out of my existing boat with an additional pontoon under it, and if I can even do it with an outboard motor.
All ideas welcomed.

Thanks,
Chris

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Change Pontoon to Tritoon?

You can do it but it is alot of work and pretty expensive, I woudl expect to pay at least $800-$1200 for a center tube, there is alot to them.
Your next problem is lining up the brackets and drilling holes adn bolting it all together.

As far as speed I don't know, the extra tube is more flotation but also more drag and 70 isn't a ton of power so you may go through all this and lose a bit of speed.

SO yes it can be done but isn't easy and is expensive so you need to figure out how bad you want to do this.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed. My concern is that if I add an additional pontoon it will create the additional drag you mentioned and possibly introduce cavitation issues with my existing outboard since the water feeding it will be displaced by the toon. I may be able to change the mounting of the outboard slightly, but I do not know enough about the hydrodynamics of this to figure it out on paper before hand.

Thanks,
Chris

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With only a 70, I don't think you will see any improvement and your speed will probably drop.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, that's what I wanted to try to figure out. I could go as high as a 90 hp on this boat, but it probably isn't worth the money to upgrade that and add the toon. The alternative is to get a Deck boat, and probably what I will pursue in the long run.
For the next guy, who searches for this subject like I did, what minimum hp do you would make it worthwhile to add a toon?

Thanks,
Chris

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, that's what I wanted to try to figure out. I could go as high as a 90 hp on this boat, but it probably isn't worth the money to upgrade that and add the toon. The alternative is to get a Deck boat, and probably what I will pursue in the long run.
For the next guy, who searches for this subject like I did, what minimum hp do you would make it worthwhile to add a toon?

Thanks,
Chris

IMHO, a 150... But you would almost certainly be better off buying a tri-toon rather than adding a third toon.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.pontoon.net/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=90&threadid=24444&enterthread=y

I've done it and it isn't hard or extremely expensive. I'm not sure I'd do it again though. The third log vastly improves the ride, but I am experiencing some blow out issues. I have a different prop to try that I hope will fix that.

If the prop doesn't fix my blow out issues the third log will have to come off and be shortened up 2 feet. I won't mess with jack plates or lowering the engine. If the log has to come off I will try the boat without it on and see what the extra HP does on the 2 log boat with the underskinning.

If you read the attached thread you see that the new log didn't really add anything to the speed with the old 50. I never got to experiment with it much because the 90 came along and I bought it.

If I had this whole project to do over I would have had a transom built onto the 22 foot log and removed my factory transom pan. I think that is the only good way to add a third log.

I also think I could have helped myself with Tracker NV style lifting strakes and underskinning with the 90 HP motor, instead of the third log. I may sell the third log to someone looking for improved ride, but not necessarily great speed improvement, on an older 22ft or longer boat, with smaller diameter tubes. It would be perfect to help someone with that kind of problem. I would then do my best to copy the Tracker NV hull design to my tubes.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After spending the whole summer messing with this log I am going to either take it off completely or shorten it to about 6 feet this winter. It is just interfering with the flow of water to the motor too much.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry, double post.:redface:

Last edited:

lazy toon

Recruit

I changed to a tri toon this year and was the best thing I did. have a 20' with a 90hp 23" tubes with a 25" in the center, brought me up to about 30 mph, handling is now a dream, only thing is if I don't tilt to 3/4 up i get splash over the front?

planglais

Cadet

There's a guy on my canal with a 24' Fiesta with 4 toons..he added two 20' in the middle ....was a big job but his concern was having the boat sink during parties...he has a yamaha 115 though...it has decent speed on the lake.

25xs

Cadet
It's easier than some think...

It's easier than some think...

Installing a third log is pretty simple. Basically just "nuts-n-bolts". I have done several. A third log with the transom built-in is definitely the best way to go. Try to get a log slightly shorter than your other two logs to keep the motor in the same position; so you don't need to replace the steering cable, fuel or electrical lines to the motor. With less than 90hp, you will probably not see an increase in speed, but OOHHH the stability and handling improvement you will gain!!

If you remove the front stairs or winch stand from the trailer, you can slide in the new log from the front. Easily lifted by two men, the log can be installed with the motor & wiring hanging from an engine hoist (cherry picker) while you attach the log. Before you buy a log, there are several measurements to take to assure the log brackets will line up with your floor frames.

Using a shorter log in the middle and keeping your old motor pod/transom will cause the front to float higher, forcing the back lower, and you need to keep the back of the short log about 7ft in front of the motor to avoid cavitation or ventilation problems.

Case in point: 1988 Tracker Party Barge 24ft with 1985 115hp Mercury outboard. Installed a 20ft center log with integral motor transom. Matched transom position with original location and center log was 2ft 6in short of the front deck. The boat floated 1-1/2" higher along the entire old waterline, and the top speed went from 24 to 29 mph on a GPS. New owner wanted to install lifting strakes, then decided against them since he was happy with the performance.

IMG_0714.jpg

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems like a repower would make more sense than adding a toon. You can sell your old motor to recap a portion of the cost of your new motor.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

25xs, that's how I put my third tube on too. I like everything about it except with the 90 HP motor just about the time I hit the 30 mph mark the turbulence off the rear of the center log gets to the motor and the prop blows out. Now I have to mess with the log and or the motor height to try to fix that. The integral transom on the center tube is definetly the way to go.

You are absolutely right about this not being a terribly difficult project, I just messed mine up a little. Hopefully someone else considering this can learn from my mistake and do it right on their boat.

EJ42955

Seaman Apprentice

If you add the 3rd toon, why not change to twin outboards.
Won't that solve his cavitation problems?

EJ

rjedney

Cadet

Don't do this. please. I used 4 hoists and turned my 24 ft. mtx fiberglass hull over in the garage. I sanded down the tubes to raw glass and made a 1/4 plywood mold to shape the hull to be like a cat. this lowered the center to 8 inches higher than the tubes. used 38 gallons of resin and woven glass and mat to get 1/2 thick center hull. turned it over and installed a 350 385hp. summit eng, and a alpha 1 mercruiser drive. It does not caviate on take water over the bow. It runs 63 mph on gps. The left sponson dips down at the front at 50 mph. It is twisting the hull. I need a 2 hundred pound person to sit behind me to get my top speed. TOO much work for the results.

rjedney

Cadet

Don't do this. please. I used 4 hoists and turned my 24 ft. mtx fiberglass hull over in the garage. I sanded down the tubes to raw glass and made a 1/4 plywood mold to shape the hull to be like a cat. this lowered the center to 8 inches higher than the tubes. used 38 gallons of resin and woven glass and mat to get 1/2 thick center hull. turned it over and installed a 350 385hp. summit eng, and a alpha 1 mercruiser drive. It does not caviate on take water over the bow. It runs 63 mph on gps. The left sponson dips down at the front at 50 mph. It is twisting the hull. I need a 2 hundred pound person to sit behind me to get my top speed. TOO much work for the results.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know I said I wouldn't do it, but I came across a CMC Jackplate with 5 inches of offset and 5 inches of up or down travel vertically so I bought it and will continue to try to get my 14 foot long center tube to work on my 20 foot long boat with a 90 HP OMC. The adventure continues, I have at least 3 props on hand right now including a 15, 17, and extra cup 11. I will probably need a 13 and will get the EC11 repitched.