• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shine up them toons

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shine up them toons

Last month I sprayed on some coil cleaner I wasn't that impressed. The dealer said it was equal to Simple green. Today I bought 6 spray bottles of Turttlewax alumn and chrome wheel cleaner. They were on sale for 3 for $10 Bottles. So I got 6 bottles. I'll try them next Friday and I'll take some pictures of before and after. This works great on my car wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Eagle View Post
      Last month I sprayed on some coil cleaner I wasn't that impressed. The dealer said it was equal to Simple green. Today I bought 6 spray bottles of Turttlewax alumn and chrome wheel cleaner. They were on sale for 3 for $10 Bottles. So I got 6 bottles. I'll try them next Friday and I'll take some pictures of before and after. This works great on my car wheels.
      Keep us posted

The one spot that I shined up with the Mag and Aluminum wheel polish looked awesome in the water!!!
      2006 Bentley 200 Cruise
      Merecury 90HP 4-stroke
      Underskinned
      Hooiser up/down trailer

Comment

HVAC Supply store for a gallon of Cal-Brite (about $22.00). Mix 3 parts water to 1. Spray with plastic garden sprayer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off. It is a acid solution so remember to pour acid into water. Wear gloves and skin protection. This is the same product that HVAC men use to clean AC coils and condensers. It foams away the dirt, grease, oils and oxidation. Amazing stuff. It is biodegradable also.

Comment

Originally posted by sb2665 View Post
          HVAC Supply store for a gallon of Cal-Brite (about $22.00). Mix 3 parts water to 1. Spray with plastic garden sprayer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off. It is a acid solution so remember to pour acid into water. Wear gloves and skin protection. This is the same product that HVAC men use to clean AC coils and condensers. It foams away the dirt, grease, oils and oxidation. Amazing stuff. It is biodegradable also.

Make sure to get the PINK cleaner as it is the BEST to use on those toons. Mixed as discribed above & it WORKS. Make sure to follow the directions & wear eye, hand & face protection.

Comment

I bought two gallons of the Pink stuff last month. I wasn't impressed.

Comment

What can I say? I've used it for many years doing HVAC work & its always done a great job for me. My pontoon had sat in the water for an unknown number of years prior to me buying it & the water line & barrancle where really bad. I used the pink full strength & it cleaned them up really great. I also used it to clean all the cross members, the aluminum top support braces and the transom. I was very pleased with the results.

I suppose it's like asprin in that it doesn't always work for everyone.

Comment

I guess so, I used it full strength too. my pontoons weren't that dirty. Just some light oxidation up near the front,The rest was just faded.I'm going to try the new stuff tomorrow or Frday.Pictures will be next week.We don't have computer excess at Elkview shores or telephones either.Cell phones only work in one spot the rest of the park is a dead zone and we are only two miles from a telephone tower.

Comment

Like VaGent said. Diluted pink a/c coil cleaner. I gave it a scrub with a brown scotchbrite after it foamed a bit. I had to sand mine too. If a person doesn't have to sand you're better off. Then I used Nuvite polish. It may not be magic but it's pretty close........

Comment

Pink coil cleaner will NOT polish the logs but it will clean them really well. Once its applied & starting to foam a stiff brush & some scrubbing will remove 95% of all the scum on the logs. Then just rinse it off really well. It is not intended in any way to do anything other then remove the dirt & water line stains. Mine had barrancles on the inner sides of the logs which the coil cleaner took care of but there are stains left where every barrancle was attached. Those will have to be sanded in order to remove them. Other then those barrancle stains the PINK coil cleaner removed the water line & everything else entirely. I'm sure with some sanding I can get those removed too but I'm not worried about it at this time.

I just want to get the boat in the water & relax & enjoy it for a little while instead of WORKING on it. I've done a complete rebuild of a 1984 24ft JC pontoon. I've EARNED the right to enjoy it until winter time comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crabbs View Post
                      I just clean mine using cheap tire shine as per my Tracker technicians. .
                      I'm curious about what type tire shine you are using. Is this the spray on stuff that goes on like white foam and leaves tires shiney when it dries?
                      Thanks

Comment

Meguiars

Comment

My Sweetwater is a 2006 model.

Eric, when I was a kid I used to have a 6hp Wizard also.

Ken

Comment

Boat Parts & Accessories Boat Covers Boat Propellers Boat Motor Parts Boats For Sale Boat Motors Boat Forums

Cleaning pontoon tube questions
                            iboats Boating Forums > General Boating/Outdoors Activities > Pontoons
                            Welcome, 2nd chance.
                            You last visited: Today at 08:29 AM
                            Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0.
                            My Replies

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Show Threads Show Posts
                            Advanced Search

Quick Links
                            Today's Posts
                            Mark Forums Read

User Control Panel
                            Edit Signature

Edit Options
                            Miscellaneous
                            Private Messages
                            Subscribed Threads

Who's Online

Go to Page...

Pontoon Boats
                            Pontoon Furniture
                            Pontoon Boat Manuals
                            Boat Covers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#1 August 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
                            cbavier
                            Lieutenant

Cleaning pontoon tube questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought a used pontoon that has scummy tubes. I am asking for help from the experts. I have three questions.

1- I have Starbright Hull cleaner with Oxalic acid. Will that clean the tubes and make them bright again?

2- Will it kill my Grass?

3- Will it harm the Aluminum?

Please answer all three questions if you can and thanks in advance.
                            50 Hp Two stroke

cbavier
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to cbavier
                            Visit cbavier's homepage!
                            Find all posts by cbavier
                            Add cbavier to Your Contacts

#2 August 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
                            lakegeorge
                            Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re: Cleaning pontoon tube questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should get your toon manual from the builder and see what they recommend. Godfrey recommends that you NOT remove the oxidation in their manual. There must be a reason for this.

Alot of people use acid and sand their logs, The logs are only .080 thick and you don't want to be removing any of the Aluminum.

lakegeorge
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to lakegeorge
                            Find all posts by lakegeorge
                            Add lakegeorge to Your Contacts

#3 August 31st, 2010, 10:39 AM
                            EricJRW
                            Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't have any answers, but there is a similar longer thread with much discussion (and opinion) on this subject:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ighlight=shine

Oh, I do have an answer, sort of. One of the products used for pontoon cleaning is an air conditioner coil cleaner... It seems unlikely that it would kill the grass, since many A/C units are surrounded by grass.
                            My first foray into boating, all acquired June 2009 (so yeah, I'm still learning).

EricJRW
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to EricJRW
                            Find all posts by EricJRW
                            Add EricJRW to Your Contacts

#4 August 31st, 2010, 11:05 AM
                            EGlideRider
                            Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by cbavier
                            I recently bought a used pontoon that has scummy tubes. I am asking for help from the experts. I have three questions.

1- I have Starbright Hull cleaner with Oxalic acid. Will that clean the tubes and make them bright again?

Yes but the brightness will likely last less than a season.

2- Will it kill my Grass?

Yes unless you spray lots of water on it afterwards.

3- Will it harm the Aluminum?

It is an etchent so it will remove a small amount of aluminum.

Please answer all three questions if you can and thanks in advance.

Good luck. I gave up many years ago on having shiny toons. I keep them clean and smooth but don't worry about them being shiny.

EGlideRider
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to EGlideRider
                            Find all posts by EGlideRider
                            Add EGlideRider to Your Contacts

#5 September 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
                            Traceyh
                            Seaman

I just bought a pontoon this year that had sat in the river water for who knows how long, and had stuff growing on the bottom of the toons and engine.
                            Each time I take it out, after it has soaked in the water for a couple hours, i use a scotch brite pad on it just to remove whatever the grown on stuff is... each week I do just a little more. I am not looking for shiny, just smooth and clean.
                            I dont want to remove any aluminum.

Traceyh
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to Traceyh
                            Find all posts by Traceyh
                            Add Traceyh to Your Contacts

#6 September 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
                            cbavier
                            Lieutenant

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Traceyh
                            I just bought a pontoon this year that had sat in the river water for who knows how long, and had stuff growing on the bottom of the toons and engine.
                            Each time I take it out, after it has soaked in the water for a couple hours, i use a scotch brite pad on it just to remove whatever the grown on stuff is... each week I do just a little more. I am not looking for shiny, just smooth and clean.
                            I dont want to remove any aluminum.

Same here. I'm not looking for shiny just clean. Maybe shiny above water line??? I don't want to scare the fish away.
                            50 Hp Two stroke

cbavier
                            View Public Profile
                            Send a private message to cbavier
                            Visit cbavier's homepage!
                            Find all posts by cbavier
                            Add cbavier to Your Contacts

#7 Today, 05:49 AM
                            2nd chance
                            Cadet

I just pulled my pontoon out of the water , (there going to drop the water level by 5 ft for a month ) I had the green stuff caked on all over the toons ,
                            I used ! The works toilet bowl cleaner! 5 bottles on my 20 ft tubes
                            $1.00 a bottle at dollar tree then power washed sections a little at a time
                            the tubes came very very clean. do not do it on grass it will kill it .
                            Found that out the year I bought the boat it had 3 years of build up on toons. the works did a great job of cleaning them up ( had to use about 12 bottles but it worked) I highly recommend it.

Comment

We just cleaned ours with Toon Brite. the trick was to spray on and then almost immediately rinse off with lots of water. We had to do it twice to clean the really bad spots but it was NOT labor intensive. It cleans but doesn't shine, you just Spray on, rinse off. Easy.

But I am going to try out the "Eagle" aluminum wheel spray, I like the fact that you can spray on and rinse as I'm NOT a fan of extra work that requires much rubbing and polishing. Hopefully we can get the "mirror finish"
                              Joe & Ana

Can't talk now, we're boating. Bye!

Tow Vehicle: 2008 Ford F250 Diesel Super Duty King Ranch 4X4 long bed aka: (THE BEAST) tows the pontoon

M/Y 40" Carver Santego

Comment

Working...
                              X