Attaching a towable to my Bennington pontoon

dispmack

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2000 Bennington Pontoon. I want to tow a tube from it and am not sure how to connect the tow harness. I have been told that I can put ski eyes or u-bolts into the transom or that I can hook the "eyes" on the pontoons.

I have read other post regarding this topic and am left a little bit confused. If anyone has advise on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

I can post pictures if needed.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Attaching a towable to my Bennington pontoon

I would go with U bolts thru the back of the deck trim, they will go through the back crossmember and be really strong.

You do not want to use the bow eyes, they look really beefy but are welded to the end cap which is only .080, you will bend them and eventually rip them off or at least create a leak.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

dispmack

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestions. 5150, it looks like I will go with your suggestion. Bennington tells me that I can not hook to the toons themselves and told me that I need to put a "ski pole" mounted to the deck. I talked with the local shop and they told me this would be a $650 piece of equipment. They told me that I should do it as you suggested and that it will work just fine.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, the eyes look really beefy but being welded to the end cap that is only .080 there really isn't much there, fine for tying of the boat but nothing else.

They do load the boats with them which I personnaly don't like but they have laoded thousands of them like that and never had a problem.