Pontoon Boat Speed and Motor Question

jeep187

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How fast will a 18' Pontoon Boat go with a 40hp and with a 50hp?

Also what is a better Outboard Mercury or Yamaha?

Thanks in advance

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Boat Speed and Motor Question

I am guessing but 12-15mph depending on load, smaller boats are more affected by load than larger ones.

The engine question depends on which was taken better care of, I would personnaly go with Yamaha, never cared for Mercs, no particular reason.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With a 50hp it should get around 20 mph and the 40hp 16/17

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I had an 18' Sweetwater with a 50 horse Yammy. Great little rig. At WOT I got 20 mph, but that was with sparkling clean toons and just me on the boat. You should know (and you may already) that speed, especially on barges, is largely dependent on many things other than just the size of the power plant. Factors like the condition of your toons, rake, pitch and cupping of your prop, weight distribution, wind, whether you're pulling someone on a water toy, whether the bimini top is deployed, and a host of others have a significant impact on barge speed. As to brand; I've had Johnnyrudes, Mercs, Yammies, and even an old Chrysler once. As I recall, the Chrysler was junk, but the others, including the two Mercs I have now, were/are fine. They just have to be cared for.