Question about control board on Millenium Odyssey pontoon boat?

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 Millenium Odyssey pontoon boat acquired from my father in law without ANY manuals. My question is this. Should the guages power up on ignition only or have constant 12 volts? I was out over the weekend and I have one rocker switch that goes 2 ways. If it goes down... the red and green lights light up, the bimini light lights up, and the guages work. If I flip it the other way... I get just the bimini light and no guages. I was told that I shouldn't run with the red and green lights on constantly. I was thinking of re-wiring the guages to just ignition as well as the radio... since they have power constantly (keep forgetting to tun off and it is draining the battery). Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about control board on Millenium Odyssey pontoon boat?

Based on my experience I'm fairly certain that your navigation lighting switch is working correctly.

In the one position, your navigation lights (the red and green "side/combination lights" and the white "all-around" light) are on for being under way. In this position you would also want to be able to see your gages, since it is likely dark out (since typically you are only required to have your lights on when it is dark or low visibility).

In the other position only your all-around light (I've also heard it called an "anchor light") is on, as this is required when you are not under way, e.g. at anchor, when it is dark or low visibility. If you are at anchor, chances are you don't need to see your gages (might actually be annoying, like when watching a fireworks show).

Regarding the radio, is it a marine radio? I would think that marine radio manufactures would realize boat radios are not typically used on a daily basis, and design them so they don't draw power unless they are actually turned on. If that is not the case, then I think a second "auxiliary switch" for the radio is in order, but I don't think I would mess with the navigation light switch, as that seems fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about control board on Millenium Odyssey pontoon boat?

Your gauges and Nav lights work as they should. If you are forgetting to turn them off, install a small pilot light next to the switch. Radio Shack has more varieties of these than you imagine. Only two wires to hook up. One on the NAV side of the switch and the other to ground.