Pontoon Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All
I am new to this forum but have been in others that contain MUCH useful information. I have found that to be true here as well and really enjoy it.

I would like to see a new forum for pontoon boats titled "Pontoon Modifications" where members can post information and pictures about the mods they have made to their boats making them more enjoyable, usable, safer, efficient and such. In the RV world, mods are generally a very hot topic and many great ideas have been implemented..

So, possibly one of our moderators could set up a special forum for us..

Thanks to all for the great information!!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Pontoon Modifications

Hi All
I am new to this forum but have been in others that contain MUCH useful information. I have found that to be true here as well and really enjoy it.

I would like to see a new forum for pontoon boats titled "Pontoon Modifications" where members can post information and pictures about the mods they have made to their boats making them more enjoyable, usable, safer, efficient and such. In the RV world, mods are generally a very hot topic and many great ideas have been implemented..

So, possibly one of our moderators could set up a special forum for us..

Thanks to all for the great information!!

Uhh, I think your already IN a great Pontoon section of a great boating fourm :rolleyes:

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

I completely agree! BUT I know many of you guys have made changes (mods) to your pontoon boats that others would love to know about and possibly incorporate into their own boats.

This would just be a place to "showcase" those modifications, rather than us trying to think up good new stuff on our own. Of course, there will be lots of WOW, "how did you do that" type of interaction..

Anyway, just a thought but maybe no one else would have any interest in it. I would as I love to tinker and most of you out there are a LOT smarter than I.... We discovered many unique mods for our pop-up camper (from others) and incorporated them into our own. It is a great way to learn new things..

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Allright Boss Hawg, Looking at your boat picture, I know you have done something to your boat that you think is really great and provided a solution for a problem or just made something better. Now, I want to know about it but I don't know what to ask cause I don't know what you might have done.

So come on and tell us, come on, I double dare ya!! Just what is that modification you did that you are proud of??

(many of us are new to pontoon boats and we could use a little inspiration from you experienced tooners)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Allright Boss Hawg, Looking at your boat picture, I know you have done something to your boat that you think is really great and provided a solution for a problem or just made something better. Now, I want to know about it but I don't know what to ask cause I don't know what you might have done.

So come on and tell us, come on, I double dare ya!! Just what is that modification you did that you are proud of??

(many of us are new to pontoon boats and we could use a little inspiration from you experienced tooners)

Well, I have been re doing a 20' Sun Tracker for a clean, simple catfishin rig :)
I modified that Miller Lite can on the front of toon--- ITS NOW EMPTY :p

BOAT007.jpg

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

I like the idea of placing speakers in the upper part of the console. How is that working out? I am looking for a better location for some new speakers.
I also see something in front of the Miller can that looks like a bracket of some sort?

You're a great sport Boss Hawg and I'm hoping we'll see many more mods in the future. Thank You for kicking it off!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I like the idea of placing speakers in the upper part of the console. How is that working out? I am looking for a better location for some new speakers.
I also see something in front of the Miller can that looks like a bracket of some sort?

You're a great sport Boss Hawg and I'm hoping we'll see many more mods in the future. Thank You for kicking it off!

I'm real happy with the speakers, good even sound all over the boat- That bracket is a simple steel L brack/hunk of wood in case i ever need my trolling motor (dont use it but i carry one in case of a (Oh shoot, ran outta gas/motor quit situation :mad:) I have my TM in a bracket on back of boat (out of the way) ----

BOAT001.jpg

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Nice.. A great place to keep the TM out of the way and ready for use! Very good safety feature as well.
When you mount a "bracket" to the playpen wall, how do you make it a "firm" installation?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Nice.. A great place to keep the TM out of the way and ready for use! Very good safety feature as well.
When you mount a "bracket" to the playpen wall, how do you make it a "firm" installation?

Only on the sq tubing framework :)

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice
Modifying a 2007 Monark Fantasy 180

Modifying a 2007 Monark Fantasy 180

Ok all, I'm going to expose my selfish side now. I have stripped and am in the process of rebuilding my new boat. The pict below shows my current condition so I can make most any modification I want at this point. I'm just looking for ideas and inspiration.

IMG_9829.jpg

If anyone is interested, I think this link will let you see my pictures as I go along.http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/BBDAWG32808/2007%20Monark%20Fantasy%20180/

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks cuzzx, I love that site. I've ordered and received several items from them and they've been great!

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been on that site for a couple of years myself & let me tell you, ALL those people on that site are some of the BEST I have ever been a part of. I've bought from them & had no problems except one thing which was NOT their fault but they stood behind it & took care of it right away. They are a FAMILY oriented site & a nicer bunch of caring people for one another then you will ever find anywhere. At least that is MY opinion. That is NOT TO SAY THIS SITE doesn't have great people too so please don't take any offense ot my statement above.

I've bought motor parts & gauges from this site as well & ther service & prices have been excellant.

I really like the idea of showing off HOW & WHAT modifications people have done to their pontoons. It gives people lots of ideas that may not be into the "designing" end verses others. AND two heads are always better than one IMO. I've learned a great deal of information from this site about my enegines (Johsnon 50 & 70) & learned a great deal about rebuilding my pontoon on the other site & here too. I believe in trying to support the sites that are helping out us boaters.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Modifying a 2007 Monark Fantasy 180

Re: Modifying a 2007 Monark Fantasy 180

Ok all, I'm going to expose my selfish side now. I have stripped and am in the process of rebuilding my new boat. The pict below shows my current condition so I can make most any modification I want at this point. I'm just looking for ideas and inspiration.

IMG_9829.jpg

If anyone is interested, I think this link will let you see my pictures as I go along.http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/BBDAWG32808/2007%20Monark%20Fantasy%20180/

I just took a look at your rebuild. It looks like youhave a good pontoon to work with & are doing a very nice job. When I bought mine it was in a lot worse shape then yours was. I've redecked it, new carpet, new furniture & everything else I am able to reuse. I'm repainting the vinyl fencing & cleaing the rails until next year which I will most like replace the vinyl. I'll try to post a link to my photobucket site later so you can take a look at mine. Keep up the good work & don't forget MORE PICTURES. :D

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip, Thanks for the link and I have visited there previously. My main point in asking for a "Pontoon Modification" Main thread is for pontoon boat owners to post pictures and descriptions of modifications they have made. Let members showcase their pontoon boats and show others what they have done to possibly inspire others to make useful improvements to their own boats. The links on iBoats.com are great for "how to" when you know what you are looking for but just need help.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

just posted a mod in Pontoon, not sure how to move it to this thread,, admin help!!!!!

Dennis J Aitken

Recruit
I too just purchased a 2007 Monark Fantasy 180 but with a 40hp 4 stroke Honda.
This guy didn't take care of the boat and it showed. Everything he did was (say this fast) half-fast.
I really shouldn't complain too much as I got it for only $3K. I was a former electrical contractor and I have this little problem.
Not sure if it is just my OCD or that I can't stand sloppy work. I just can't buy something and just use it as it. I always have to personalize everything! I don't care if it is a vehicle, boat, or whatever. Just glad I haven't tried any mods on the better half!

I took out every bit of wiring from the front lights all the way to the motor, including everything on the dash.
First off Mr. Fix-it didn't bother using waterproof switches, DUH! "Gee! I don't understand why things don't work!"
The remote for the marine type radio was soaked and rusty laying on the floor inside the console. The glass fuses were mounted so high that it was almost impossible to see if they were good or bad.
I started out with a new fuse block from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...JPQJX0HXQ4B&psc=1&refRID=3566PCBP5JPQJX0HXQ4B)
I hated the plastic black split wire loom tubing because not only does it disintegrate in time but it lets all kinds of water and other things inside. I cut a 5/8 garden hose and stretched it from the back to the console. Also from the front to the console. Then fed all the NEW wiring through these hoses and used caulking on the ends.
Oh ya gotta love this... He had 16 gauge speaker wire from the battery up to the fuses as the main wiring and without any battery cut off switch. Needless to say it now has #8 wire running from the battery to the cut off switch then the main fuse terminals.
He told me he couldn't find the hole in the toon that was putting water in it. Well he must have backed up at some point and smashed the transducer mount which broke the welds. I just got that welded by professionals this morning! He did get one thing right; he had a drain installed for each toon so I'll give him credit for that!
I read somewhere to put a filler on top of each toon so that you can put 3# of air in the toon and then go around with a spray bottle with soapy water looking for leaks like you would look for gas leaks. I will do that tomorrow when the boat comes back here.
All the decals on this boat were a mess. I was able to take them off and it still looked like crud. I went to Menards and bought a roll of double sides white aluminum flashing 24" x 50' for only $75.00 (https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...luminum-trim-coil/tc24-br/p-1444424187280.htm ) (compare to some places charging $350.00 for the AL on line) and I am going to remove all the old aluminum and replace it. I already took the door AL off and gave it to the shop so that they could cut the 24" down to the 15+" height I need.
I believe it is much easier to remove the AL when the rails are still mounted to the boat instead of what I did by taking the door off. I did that so I could give them the exact height!
I just ordered new vinyl flooring ($675.00) about two hours ago.
So yes, I have some pics but I should have taken more. I just get so ticked off that I just start ripping out crap and replacing it the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.