installing fish finder/depth finder on pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just purchased a new fish finder.. a garmin 140, opinions? anyways - i am wondering where on the boat i should mount the transducer? the transom is pretty small, i suppose it would fit, but it will be tight, and i cant imagine the water being very calm that close to the prop.. is there a better option? possibly way to stick it to the side(or back) of the pontoon. i wouldnt put holes in the toons obviously, but possibly double sided tape or ??? opinions??

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: installing fish finder/depth finder on pontoon

I have a side scan depth finder so I have transducers on both sides.

port

starboard ( I needed a new live well pump, these were the pics I sent my buddy but they show the transducer mount and speed )

Jeep Man

Commander

Mine is the same as Jeff's, on the lower section of the bracket at the back end of the pontoon.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only logical place for the transducer is at the back of one of the tubes. If there is no bracket any local welding/fab shop can add one for a few bucks. Do not mount the transducer on the motor pan -- there is way too much turbulence in that area and the locator will not read well.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only logical place for the transducer is at the back of one of the tubes. If there is no bracket any local welding/fab shop can add one for a few bucks. Do not mount the transducer on the motor pan -- there is way too much turbulence in that area and the locator will not read well.

i agree that seems like the only place, but there is no bracket on my pontoons, and i cant see myself having anything welded on, so i might just take it back for a refund.. i havent opened it yet.. is there a non welding way to stick that transducer on there? a waterproof double sided tape? jb weld?

cooterdude

Seaman Apprentice

if you could find a local supplier for these you could hose clamp it to your pontoon
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/294949314/Hose_clamp.html
i run a 2 transducer setup on my jhonboat one is hard mounted to my transom the other is hose-clamped to my troling motor
ill keep looking for a local supplier and post if i find one
:cool:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just curious. Is there some compelling reason you don't want to have a bracket added? You can have one welded to the back of one of your tubes for very little money. The typical setup is a small piece of aluminum bent into a three sided rectangle. It provides you with a flat surface to bolt the transducer to or a cavity to hold a livewell pump. Very handy.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just dont like the idea of someone welding and possibly blowing a hole in the pontoon.. i think i would rather go without then weld on the toon unnecessarily.. maybe that is silly, but... the unit came with 2 sided tape to attach to a trolling motor.. i just cant see it lasting.. i would like a depth finder more then a fish finder, is there a simpler option then this type of unit?

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

i just dont like the idea of someone welding and possibly blowing a hole in the pontoon.. i think i would rather go without then weld on the toon unnecessarily.. maybe that is silly, but... the unit came with 2 sided tape to attach to a trolling motor.. i just cant see it lasting.. i would like a depth finder more then a fish finder, is there a simpler option then this type of unit?

Here's my port side picture again. Click the picture for large picture.

The 4x4 is bolted to the back of the pontoon deck edge and the thin wall tubing is bolted to that. The transducer is bolted to the tubing.

All "boat" drilling is above waterline and no welding required.

Jeff

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 4x4 is bolted to the back of the pontoon deck edge and the thin wall tubing is bolted to that. The transducer is bolted to the tubing.

Jeff

somehow i let this pic escape me on the first read, i kept looking at the other side were your livewell pump is.. i also have a livewell pump, but someone installed in in the transom housing and plumbed it by drilling a hole in the transom assembly bottom.. anyways, i like the looks of this, and will try to fab up something like that i think.. thanks for the repost, i am aparently pretty dense to get to sometimes.. lol

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Can't really convey tone in this medium, so please take this in the spirit intended. That is silly. Didn't you just have some leaks welded up on those very toons? The only way to mount the transducer and be assured that it will be there six months from now is to have a bracket welded on the back of the toon. It's cheap, safe and reliable. Go ahead and have it done and while you're at it have one added on the other toon. I promise you'll thank me later. Now Git 'er done!;)

Danny Schock

Recruit

Jeff

I like this idea plan on installing it this saturday. Great advice,thanks.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
My transducer didn't work out well on the back so now it's mounted on the trolling motor on the bow. I bought the trolling motor mount for attaching the transducer.

Last edited:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's to bad your pictures aren't numbered.The one picture with the green wire looks like a good place for your pick up. That's where mine is on my 24ft StarCraft.I did notice one thing though, your rear tie down straps are in the wrong place. Tomorrow I'm going down to Maryland to put gas in the boat.While there I'll take some pictures of the rear of my boat. When I get back on Sunday I'll post them for you too see.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The fish finder/depth finder transducer that came with my pontoon was attached to the bottom
of the transom pod. The only problem I had with that was one day I got into some weeds. Messed
the finder pretty good. Put the boat in reverse for a short time and all was good. old jim

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why all the posts in a four year old topic? Please let this go back to sleep. Thanks.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Why all the posts in a four year old topic? Please let this go back to sleep. Thanks.

Could you elaborate on why we need to let a 4 yr old post go away? At almost 13,000 views it seems to be an important topic that continues to draw hits,which is what you guys are looking for right? The software I use allows you to set how old a topic can be before it's closed automatically,if you don't want it brought back up.

Back to the topic at hand, I agree with having brackets welded on. The caps are plenty thick,and easy to work on if you find a pin hole pressure testing after the weld job. I just welded on generic type brackets that could double as a step,and could have other brackets bolted or riveted to it for multiple accessories. I usually mount 'ducers so they're 1/8"-1/4" beneath the hull to catch "clean" water. Hard to do on a round tube,so I made an offset bracket to kick it off to the side without a strake for less aerated water to run in. This works up to about 20 mph before I totally loose the depth reading. This setup has survived 2 seasons now without tripping the factory break-away bracket.

Attachments

• photo206366.jpg
    photo206366.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • photo206367.jpg
    photo206367.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo206368.jpg
    photo206368.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus