Pontoon Trailers...are they all the same? Fit a 24' on a 21'?

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I have been pricing pontoon boats and it seems that i can find the best deals on boats with no trailers. I need a boat with a trailer so i was going to buy a trailer seperate and then buy a boat. I am looking to pickup a single axle 21' pontoon trailer, galvanized, looks to be in great shape, not a scissor trailer. I offered him $600 and he accepted.

My questions are: Will this trailer fit any 18' -21' pontoon? Are all the width's the same on those boats? Can i jam a 24' pontoon on the 21' trailer?

Thanks allot guys, just trying to get the best bang for my buck.
I attached a pic of the trailer

Much apprciated!!

Attachments

• pontoon trailer.jpg
    pontoon trailer.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Trailers...are they all the same? Fit a 24' on a 21'?

I don't think I'd put a 24 footer on that trailer. You'd have too much boat hanging unsupported off the end. You really don't want any of the toons to extend past the ends of the bunks. Also, any barge over 21' really needs two axles. If you find a boat and trailer you love before you find a boat to fit that trailer go ahead and pull the trigger. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting back what you paid for it. FWIW, around here it's kind of tough to find 24 footers with trailers because the original owners buy them and have them delivered to slips, then sell the slip access along with the barge. That may account for the trouble you're having.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think you'll find many people here in favor of placing a 21' boat on a single axel trailer. And I'm certain no one here will say you can put a 24 footer on your trailer. Personally, I think and 18 footer is about the max for a single axel trailer.

But the trailer should be able to be adjusted to fit any pontoon up to it's designed length. Most pontoon boats for the last 20 to 25 years have been 102" wide while before that the maximum was 96". So no, all the widths are not the same.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, good advice. I was really only looking for an 18-21' boat.

If i find a used boat forsale and it is on blocks, are you able to load it onto a "float on" trailer? Or must you use a scissor lift trailer?

Ok, reversal of my original question, could I purchase a 24' trailer and load a 21' boat on it safely?

Thanks again, sorry to pick your brain!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I don't think you'll find many people here in favor of placing a 21' boat on a single axel trailer. And I'm certain no one here will say you can put a 24 footer on your trailer. Personally, I think and 18 footer is about the max for a single axel trailer.

Have to disagree with you there. My 21 footer came with a single axle trailer and it tows like a dream. I don't have any issues with it at all. Definitely would not go any longer with one axle though. I've seen 24 footers on one axle on the road. I always make sure to steer clear of them.:eek: As an aside, DLS I don't see a boarding ladder on the front of that trailer. You're likely to find yourself wishing for one before long. Just a thought.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, good catch about the steps.

Any idea about loading a boat that is either on the ground or on some kind of blocks. Is there a way to load them onto a float on trailer?

Thanks!!

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have to disagree with you there. My 21 footer came with a single axle trailer and it tows like a dream. I don't have any issues with it at all. Definitely would not go any longer with one axle though. I've seen 24 footers on one axle on the road. I always make sure to steer clear of them.:eek: As an aside, DLS I don't see a boarding ladder on the front of that trailer. You're likely to find yourself wishing for one before long. Just a thought.

+1, my 20 ft pontoon on the single axle haul-rite trailer tows like it isnt even there.. i couldnt be happier, however i wouldnt dream of putting a 24ft'r on my trailer.. i just went 200 miles with mine on back of a my 1/2ton ford.. no worries.

yes, you could put a 21ft toon on a 24 ft trailer.. no problem..

im sorry, i am not sure how you get a boat off the blocks, but i would assume whoever put it on the blocks could get it off of them for you?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, good advice. I was really only looking for an 18-21' boat.

If i find a used boat forsale and it is on blocks, are you able to load it onto a "float on" trailer? Or must you use a scissor lift trailer?

It's not impossible but it would be quite a job with jacks and supports required.
Ok, reversal of my original question, could I purchase a 24' trailer and load a 21' boat on it safely?

Yes a 21' will fit on a 24' as long a rear cross member doesn't prevent you from getting the boat forward enough for proper tongue weight.

You need to get the boat forward enough such that the tongue weight will be about 10% of the total weight. Otherwise you are likely to encounter fishtailing.

Thanks again, sorry to pick your brain!

Good luck with your search.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great....thanks again for the helpful info.

You guys rock!!! :D

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

+1, my 20 ft pontoon on the single axle haul-rite trailer tows like it isnt even there.. i couldnt be happier, however i wouldnt dream of putting a 24ft'r on my trailer.. i just went 200 miles with mine on back of a my 1/2ton ford.. no worries

+1 to his +1 :)
Just made a 400 mi round trip to pick up a used 20' on a scissor style single axle & it followed me home beautifully :D
(Now if i could just figure out this scissor stuff:redface:)

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I bought my pontoon it was sitting on old tires. I had to rent a trailer from the marina that's the float on type but they had one where it would lower down to the ground by a hydraulic cylinder with the push of a button. Then all you have to do is push the button and pick it up and strap it down. Very nice trailer.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Old set of pickup camper jacks will get the pontoon off the ground and onto a float on trailer in under 10 minutes!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

How did it get onto the blocks? If it is in a boat storage yard or marine, have them fork it back into the water so that you can load it via the ramp.
Or have them fork it onto the trailer.

But, about your trailer..............
Is there adjustability of the bunks side to side?
As mentioned above most older toons are 8 foot wide with newer ones 8.5 foot wide.
But the placement and diameter of the toon might require adjustment of the bunks in or out.
There has been various diameter toons used over the years that might require the bunks to be adjusted to fit the toon you buy. Not just front to back but side ways.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm wondering if tongue weight might be an issue with a longer pontoon and OB hanging off the rear.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't think I'd put a 24 footer on that trailer. You'd have too much boat hanging unsupported off the end. You really don't want any of the toons to extend past the ends of the bunks. Also, any barge over 21' really needs two axles. If you find a boat and trailer you love before you find a boat to fit that trailer go ahead and pull the trigger. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting back what you paid for it. FWIW, around here it's kind of tough to find 24 footers with trailers because the original owners buy them and have them delivered to slips, then sell the slip access along with the barge. That may account for the trouble you're having.

I have a 24 ft Pontoon boat with a 5 starr trailer. It has tandum wheels with brakes on the front. The boat weighs in at around 22oo lbs. I got everything from a Starcraft Dealer the trailer is a bunk trailer . I measued the board and there are two lengths of 8 ft each. there's a space between the first set of wood and the second set . it has 4 -10 inch wheels .I don't have any problems with it It also has a hand crank with a wide belt. If I ever get around to it I have a 10,000 power wench to put on it.