gas tank on my suntracker 21' fishing barge

lamac

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a suntracker 21' fishing barge with a 90 hp 4 stroke engine. The gas tank is mostly underwater is this the norm for pontoons? I'm new to pontoon boats. Should I raise the tank a couple of inches?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: gas tank on my suntracker 21' fishing barge

More information is needed. Surely your tank is not above the pontoons and is below the water line.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

On the suntracker the gas tank is under the deck in front of the motor. The water splashes over the top of the tank while under way. The boat has a 42 gallon tank and it was full at the time. Now the cap does stay above the water buy a couple of inches.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Without seeing a picture of the way your toon sits, I would personally say no your tank should not be in the water at all. Even if your tank is mounted underneath, it should not be touching watching.....water may hit it while underway, but thats it. With your toon fully loaded how do your toons sit in the water 75%? What size are your toons? You might have water in them, or maybe your weight should be distributed differently on your boat. Any additional info would be good to help you.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

24" toons, the tank is built into a aluminum guard that protects it from objects hitting it. The guard is pointed and allows water to flow through it but not objects. We only had four people on the boat so over loading was not the problem. I'm not worried about objects hitting the tank but I am worried about the water being so high on the tank.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

No water in the pontoons thats the first thing I checked when I put it back on the trailer. The pontoons sit about half or less in the water except for the stern.

oldjeep

Admiral

They sell a whole lot of those boats, must be fine.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So is your tank built in and part of the transom? That is the only one's I've seen that stay in the water. And all of them had the cap up on the bulkhead with a tube to the tank. So I'm assuming the tank was meant to be in the water, but i don't think you would want the cap in the water.

Because the Suntracker is such a popular boat, I'm sure someone will jump in here soon with an answer to your question. We will also want to know how much of the rear pontoons are in the water. Could be water in the toons causing it to sit too low.

newtoon

Cadet

Hi,
I just bought the same boat except with the 90 Optimax. The tank is in the motor pod and does get in the water some. but no water gets in the tank. I just got my boat a week ago and have already gone through 2 tanks and the better part of a third. No water issues.

newtoon

Cadet

One you get going, the tank is out of the water. My boat with the Optimax does not set low in the rear. It's not an issue.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

I just contacted suntracker and the tank is supposed to be in the water no problem they said. The boat ran fine when underway and the gas cap is out of the water due to it sticking up above the tank. I don't think I'll be filling the tank quite so much I ran my boat for 6 hours and the tank is still almost full. This is my first 4 stroke I heard they were good on gas but I did not expect this good. Of coarse I'm still in the break in period so I'm not full throttle much, well see.
Thanks for the info guys.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen othere folks with concerns about these tanks on other forums. I've not heard of any issues of water in the tanks or leaks or anything else like that. I think they are OK it just shocks people to see so much water running on and over the tank. Make sure the cap is tight and get out and enjoy your new boat.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem with the tank in the water. Mine is the same way, and have had no trouble with water. I have very little water splash in the compartment while under way and as stated by others the cap sets higher than the top of the tank. Go forth and enjoy:D

Glenn

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice

I just contacted suntracker and the tank is supposed to be in the water no problem they said. The boat ran fine when underway and the gas cap is out of the water due to it sticking up above the tank. I don't think I'll be filling the tank quite so much I ran my boat for 6 hours and the tank is still almost full. This is my first 4 stroke I heard they were good on gas but I did not expect this good. Of coarse I'm still in the break in period so I'm not full throttle much, well see.
Thanks for the info guys.

My Sun Tracker is like yours, and no problem with the tank location.
Mine is a 60HP 4 stroke, and as you say, it seems to be really good on gas.

Wyatt53

Recruit

Hi,
I just bought the same boat except with the 90 Optimax. The tank is in the motor pod and does get in the water some. but no water gets in the tank. I just got my boat a week ago and have already gone through 2 tanks and the better part of a third. No water issues.

I just bought the same boat . Not sure if the prop is right at max throttle rpm are at 6100 and speed is only 21 mph. Does this sound right. It has a stainless prop that I had dealer install.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The RPMs might be a tad high. I think you should be maxing out in the 5500 to 6000 range. Check with Merc to verify then experiment as necessary.

D

DJ

The last pontoon I helped "rebuild", we hung the tank under the front of the deck, due to stern weight issues. We protected it with some aluminum fabrication to keep it from seeing major wave action. That decision, to move it, made a different boat.

The issues you need to watch are; make sure all connections are tight and sealed. I would add a water/fuel seperator to be sure. Four strokes (injectors and pumps) are more sensitive to water in fuel that old 2-strokes.

302Fulcher

Recruit

Actually not fine. Recently bought 18' bass buggy and was appalled that water came over top of motor like a gusher. Comes up to the cowling, can't see the pee hole and splashes all over the gas tank. 3 Mechanics who service these say it's a design flaw that suntracker apparently feels is no problem.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The RPMs might be a tad high. I think you should be maxing out in the 5500 to 6000 range. Check with Merc to verify then experiment as necessary.

That's correct. 6100 is just over the top. I believe (hey, I read this last year) that WOT on the 90 is between 5000 and 6000.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually not fine. Recently bought 18' bass buggy and was appalled that water came over top of motor like a gusher. Comes up to the cowling, can't see the pee hole and splashes all over the gas tank. 3 Mechanics who service these say it's a design flaw that suntracker apparently feels is no problem.

Over the cowling? Wow, I'd love to see a picture of that.

Here is a video on the BB done by boattest.com. It's an on the water test, looks like they forgot to put that design flaw into this one. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r88mT9muZIw&feature=related