How to increase pontoon speed?

bsmith2010

Recruit
I've been searching the internet for ways to increase the speed of my pontoon boat without buying a new engine. I've heard about the Pontoon Water Glide and wondered if anyone out has used one. :confused: It's suppose to be easy enough install myself and really make a substantial difference. If any body has one, please let me know what you think.

Thanks - Bloom

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to increase pontoon speed?

Why do you have a pontoon if you want to go fast? Get a ski boat for speed.

Pontoons are designed as comfortable cruisers - things like the water glide compromise one thing to give you another - there's no such thing as a free ride.

A fast ski boat is uncomfortable compared to a pontoon but it's faster. If you install a water glide it will make your pontoon boat faster but uncomfortable

To my mind, if I wanted speed I'd buy a speed boat but I'm perfectly happy with my comfortable pontoon.

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a pontoon and it goes relatively fast (38MPH) and is still comfortable. The boats being built today are (for the most part) not your grandpa's pontoon.

The PWG threads I've read on here, or PDB magazine (linked to above) or Pontoon forums (http://www.pontoonforums.com/) all point out that it takes some work and some tuning but eventually the users got value out of them.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

3rd pontoon with a built in transom. I just finished installing on on my toon 2 weeks ago and am Very pleased to say the least. 5+ mph gain as in went from 22mph to a prop limited 27mph. I can actually feel it come on plain now around 15mph, below that speed it BANKS into turns now allowing for tight turns at a moderate speed which actually allows me to pull a tube and "sling" them over the wake on turns. Even with 8 people on the boat it still goes 22mph. 1400# more weight and just as fast! Extra flotation is great too, it sits 3-4" higher out of the water.

The Only downside is that wants to ride over top of waves above 15mph due to planing, under that speed it still cuts thru for a smooth ride.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Hopefully you have noticed the 'newer' 'toon design incorporates the addition of 'ski's' welded on the lower sides of the 'toons. This factory addition acts like small hydro foils, lifting the 'toons to a 'planing' state.

Many years ago, long before the OEM's adopted this design, Boating World (if I remember correctly) ran an article on 'toon modifications, welding on long aluminum ski's for lift at speed, planing the boat and maximizing speed. It worked fine. The major drawback was having a ski on the outside of the toon exposed to swimmers which was soon cured by using a much wider piece folded into the current 'V' shape so swimmers can not rub against a sharp edge.

Depending on trailer clearances your local welder and metal shop can modify your toon far cheaper than investing in new logs or a new boat.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As a pontoon owner who is in the process of adding a third log and all the mods that are going with it I think if all I were looking for was more speed I would look into having the skis described above, or lifting strakes as they are commonly called, added to my logs. I would look at the Tracker NV performance logs and try to copy those as closely as you can. I will add similar strakes to my boat starting with the added third log as soon as I get the time. There is a thread on my mods at the PDB magazine forum. I can't get the link right now I'm on the way out the door to go Striper fishing this evening.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Tell us what boat and engine you have and how fast it goes now,we don't have anything to go by.

If you have a 20' with a 50 none of the above will work for you, I think you need at least 90 horse on a 22' to be able to see any difference.

Pontoons are terribly inefficient hulls as they tend to go thru the water rather than ride on top of it like a mono hull.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Tell us what boat and engine you have and how fast it goes now,we don't have anything to go by.

If you have a 20' with a 50 none of the above will work for you, I think you need at least 90 horse on a 22' to be able to see any difference.

Pontoons are terribly inefficient hulls as they tend to go thru the water rather than ride on top of it like a mono hull.

personally mine is a 20' with a 70hp 4stroke and the 70 is more than enough to get it up on plane with the 3rd toon added. Mine has octagon shaped logs with 9" wide flats on the bottom of each log so it probibly planes a littler easier than a round log style. Mine might even act like a lifting straked log. With 8 people (1400#) on board it does need over 3/4 throttle to get on plane but one on top I can still back the throttle off to 4000rpm and keep it on plane. In think adding a 3rd log will do more performance than adding strakes to the original tubes as you will still have the issue of the transom pod crashing into the wake created between the pontoons which pushes the bow down. A 3rd pontoon with a built in transom eliminates that.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

personally mine is a 20' with a 70hp 4stroke and the 70 is more than enough to get it up on plane with the 3rd toon added. Mine has octagon shaped logs with 9" wide flats on the bottom of each log so it probibly planes a littler easier than a round log style. Mine might even act like a lifting straked log. With 8 people (1400#) on board it does need over 3/4 throttle to get on plane but one on top I can still back the throttle off to 4000rpm and keep it on plane. In think adding a 3rd log will do more performance than adding strakes to the original tubes as you will still have the issue of the transom pod crashing into the wake created between the pontoons which pushes the bow down. A 3rd pontoon with a built in transom eliminates that.

tgh3fan

Cadet

Just curious as to why not get a deck boat with a 150 horse 4 stroke and call it good? Unless you're like me and too broke to pay attention. Love this site! Good luck all.

RKEWL

Recruit

I leave my old lady at home. I get 5 more hp

gmc1962

Cadet

I saw a boat with a Pontoon Water Glide on it last season. The boat road much higher in the water and he was pulling skiers. The boat would lay into the turns really well.......I would check them out.:cool:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

For 2 grand, I'd look at getting a 3rd log first.

gmc1962

Cadet

Where can you get a third log for $2000 with hardware and engine mount???? Don't you have to add bunks to your trailer and change out all your engine controls? I have seen triples that are not very impressive if they don't have lifting strakes to get the boat up on top.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 18 foot Landau with a 60HP Bigfoot 14 x 13p prop. This boat hole shots great with a top speed of 24mph x 3 people. The secret is Bigfoots gears. Like the big boys use.....Tom

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Where can you get a third log for $2000 with hardware and engine mount???? Don't you have to add bunks to your trailer and change out all your engine controls? I have seen triples that are not very impressive if they don't have lifting strakes to get the boat up on top.

http://stlouis.ebayclassifieds.com/...toon-logs-tubes-or-floats-new-used/?ad=190027

http://greatlakesskipper.com/catego...at-parts-center-tri-toon-and-single-logs.html

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is yours a twin or triple toon??

My Landau is a twin tune. My Landau has what i would call a hull lifting tune in between the tunes near the back of the boat. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here........Tom

Attachments

• DSCF0112.jpg
    DSCF0112.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0116.jpg
    DSCF0116.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cuzzx

Seaman

I have a 20ft powered by a 75 mariner. I get 26 mph , speed is no problem I want better gas milage.

The logs run flat out in the water, level.
Need to get the front out of water.