First Pontoon Boat Owner

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First Pontoon Boat Owner

Pording,

The Garmin says gps map 530 on the front. There are several models in the 500 models, I think mine is a 530. I bought it on e-bay and it has never failed me.
It's like looking at a color chart, it has every bit of info that a chart has, depth, marker bouys, et'c.

The Thetford porta-potti is very reasonable and is the best on the market, get the 5 gallon one so that you aren't constantly emptying it.

Ken

POrding

Cadet

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions.

DJ, Did you notice loss in performance when you installed that? I noticed in several reviews that was mentioned.

LakeGeorge, Thanks for the info on the GPS and porta-potti.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken time to respond

Jeep Man

Commander

Looks like you have most every thing you will need. Add in a litter bucket, and a mild cleaner and disposable cloths for those unavoidable spills when kids are involved. I use a Garmin as well, a Vista Hcx handheld model. It does every thing I need and then some, and has the longest battery life. Prices out at $250-300 plus maps.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a partial list of "must haves" for most of our trips:

LIFE PRESERVERS FOR ALL PEOPLE/SIZES, REGISTRATION, CELL PHONE, WATER, SNACKS, ICE, GAS, OIL, MONEY, JUMPER CABLES, DEPTH FINDER, KEYS, TOOLS, TOWELS, SUNBLOCK, DECK SHOES, CHARTS, MAPS, FLARES, GPS, COAST GUARD NUMBER, PERSON AT MARINA FOR TOW.

FISHING:

ROD/TACKLE, BAIT, NET.

Have fun!

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Love pontoons. Sorry I sold mine last year. They handle like a car on the water, but without the brakes. lol. One thing you have to learn to deal with on a toon is the fact that they sit so high in the water. This makes reaching out to grab the dock or another boat, or someone overboard very difficult. A good solid boat hook in invaluable on a pontoon. get one around 5 ft long and avoid a telescoping one if you can. They tend to be made weaker. Sitting high in the water also means you are affected more by the wind when anchored so you may want to have a smaller anchor to deploy from the stern as well. I used a 13lb fluke from the bow and a 7lb river anchor from the rear. Put a wire tie about three feet up from the anchor on the rope to let you know when the anchor is close to the surface. That way you can avoid banging the anchor into your new pontoons and denting them.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

The one thing we got for ours and everyone loves it is the popup changing room along w/ the porta potty. Sure saves a lot of trips back to the marina or nearest bathroom!!
Mike