Crazy Pontoon Idea

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Crazy Pontoon Idea

Crazy idea? Yes
Workable? Yes
Comments: I foresee lots of problems with this arrangement. I would sell the pontoon and jon boat and buy what you need.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Sorry to be the party pooper but it almost sounds like it's beyond the useful safe capacity of the pontoon boat.

Is it really worth getting an extra friend on the boat if it's really not safe? What if ( God forbid) something terrible happened? Would saving a few dollars be worth the life of a friend?

I enjoy building / engineering stuff as much as the next guy but I draw the line when safety is involved.

I don't see it as being less safe, I see it as having more flotation and being more safe... A pontoon boat by nature is one of the most stablest safest boats out there... Don't forget, I am on a small river maybe a 1/2 mile wide at best with very little chop or waves...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't think this has been mentioned a heavily loaded toon will sometimes submarine
if the bow catches a wave once it start under it won't stop till you cut the motor.
Of course the added jon may combat this but its still a possibility.Also keep in mind the tube flotation increases at a decreasing rate and once submerged thats it a weight shift or wrong wave angle she could capsize.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I don't see it as being less safe, I see it as having more flotation and being more safe... A pontoon boat by nature is one of the most stablest safest boats out there... Don't forget, I am on a small river maybe a 1/2 mile wide at best with very little chop or waves...

More floation until the jon boat fills with water then it becomes added drag.

Final decision is yours. I wish you the best in whichever way you decide to go.

Enjoy the holidays
Jeff

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

It is also unsafe to have all of the persons that the boat is rated for capacity wise to stand on one front corner hugging each other.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I don't think this has been mentioned a heavily loaded toon will sometimes submarine
if the bow catches a wave once it start under it won't stop till you cut the motor.
Of course the added jon may combat this but its still a possibility.Also keep in mind the tube flotation increases at a decreasing rate and once submerged thats it a weight shift or wrong wave angle she could capsize.

I agree on a well powered boat.... But don't forget this is a 50 year old 18hp that goes maybe 12 mph and it's never had that problem yet so pretty unlikely it will happen with additional flotation... Seems most of you are thinking big boat on the ocean... Don't forget, this is a little puddle jumper on a calm inland waterway...

Raider316

Seaman Apprentice
I think the bigger question

I think the bigger question

I agree on a well powered boat.... But don't forget this is a 50 year old 18hp that goes maybe 12 mph and it's never had that problem yet so pretty unlikely it will happen with additional flotation... Seems most of you are thinking big boat on the ocean... Don't forget, this is a little puddle jumper on a calm inland waterway...

is where you gonna find 6 more people crazy enough to actually go out on a boat you "johnson rigged"?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If he is on the Rideau, you can walk the bottom without going under in most places.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hey... how do you know about the Rideau? I'm not on it though. I'm on the Gatineau, a few miles north. I did drive over the Rideau today though :)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Have a look at that Water Glide link posted above. Very interesting experience those guys have posted about that product. Not sure if the expense is worth it to you (still not sure what they do cost) but the ability to easily cut the thing down to size means you will get an accurate install without the worry of the outrigger issue mentioned above.

I'd also respectfully submit that you take a real close look at the safety aspect of running so loaded. Just becuase she's a slow craft in shallow water doesn't mean that a convergence of various factors (the Swiss Cheese theory we like to talk about in the Safety Management Systems game) won't all pile on to bite you bad.

People tend to look at one thing that might go wrong and plan to counter it. It's the multiple, small things - in and of themselves harmless or near to - that you can't combat when they happen all at once.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

wbeaton

Commander

I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I've been out with Steve on his river. Even when its windy its calm so I wouldn't be worried about wave action. I too, think the jon boat would need to be sealed. I'd try it, though. What do you have to lose? Just take some brave deck hands for the maiden voyage. Heck, I might even join the crew. I think I'm going to be in Ottawa for a week in May.

low power + calm water = excellent opportunity for experimentation

Even though using a jon boat might not be the choice I'd have made, I still think its worth investigation.