• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy Pontoon Idea

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Pontoon Idea

Ok, I have this crazy idea and was wondering what folks might think of it. I sold my 20' pontoon boat this summer and still have my 16'er with a 12' deck on it. It has 3 double benches to sit six and the driver for a total of 7. If there's 7 adults on it, it sits very low on the water and I don't really like it. It only has an 18hp on it and it's not built for speed at all. So my thought is, what would happen if I bolted a 12' john boat underneath it between the two pontoons. Has anyone done anything like this before? It should give a lot of lift it the height was correct. Of course I'd have to be careful that it did not fill up with rain water!

I would like it to be easy on and off so that when I trailer it, I would remove it first. But I only take it out once a year at the end of the season in Oct. so it's not a regular thing.

Any thoughts on this? Crazy idea? Workable? Comments? thx...

Photo attached.
    Attached Files
    Steve.

Re: Crazy Pontoon Idea

Crazy,, yes... Do-able sure... but..... what if it swamped while out on the water. I dont think it would pull you under but it definitly would not help.
    Or you could add a 3rd toon in the middle and call it good. Just a thought.
    2011 Triton 190 Escape SE 150 Mercury Pro XS

I never learned much from winning, but always learn from failure.
    Semper Fi

Comment

If it didn't stick out at either end I figured swamping would be a low possibility. also, we're on a calm inland river. Not much big happens here. I could also put a hatch in the middle of the boat and have tons of storage down below.

And a 3rd toon is a good idea but expensive. This is an old cheap boat. And 12' jon boats are cheap and common.
      Steve.

Comment

Then Im all for giving it a try. You may have hit on a the next new thing..
        2011 Triton 190 Escape SE 150 Mercury Pro XS

I never learned much from winning, but always learn from failure.
        Semper Fi

Comment

Creative...yes, crazy...yes again It would probably get water in it quite often if you dock the rig all summer, but you could easily throw a bilge pump in there, problem solved.

Keep some oars handy and you can send people to shore to get more beverages as needed too

What's the red thing on the pontoon?
          sigpic
          '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
          12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
          Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

The red thing is just a painted plywood box/wall to deaden the engine noise and keep the little ones from falling out the back and disappearing in the wake!

I was thinking a bilge pump also.
            Steve.

Comment

why waste a good boat find plastic barrels and rig up some sort of cone on the leading edge. You might be a redneck if. This sounds like something I would come up with. Good luck and god bless
              sigpic

90 supra bravura pmc351 1.23/1 pmc40
              96 seaswirl squirt 115omc turbojet
              88 kawasaki sj550
              88 kawasaki x2 650
              92 yamaha waverunner III
              94 seadoo xp

Comment

I have barrels. Not very aqua efficient and kinda ugly.
                Steve.

Comment

You would need to make some sort of nose to put on them.
                  sigpic

90 supra bravura pmc351 1.23/1 pmc40
                  96 seaswirl squirt 115omc turbojet
                  88 kawasaki sj550
                  88 kawasaki x2 650
                  92 yamaha waverunner III
                  94 seadoo xp

Comment

Make sure that it is the same height as your tubes, you don't want to get an outrigger thing going, very unstable.

Second, you are gonna get a ton of water in it so you will need a bilge pump or better yet just seal the top, you could do this with some thin plywood even.

Last thing I can think of is that you are gonna have a booger of a time attaching it to the boat, without seeing it I really don't have any ideas on that but that will be the hardest part.
                    GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

The key to it would be attaching it. You would want it to be deep enough to provide support when you are fully loaded (the boat with 7 people) but shallow enough that you could get it back out when everyone is back on land.

Under the deck on my pontoon, I have plenty of things to strap to. I think you would only need to fasten it up front, but you would have to be REALLY careful in reverse. I really like the idea of the floor access to store extra beer/pop/ life jackets/etc.

I think about where I run mine, and I don't think I would have an issue with water in it. A bilge pump is a good idea, tho.

The other option would be to put the extra people in the jon boat and pull them behind you... I know, how boring is that?
                      Steve
                      Livin' the Dream
                      The Black Pearl - homemade pontoon boat - 1959 Johnson 18HP
                      On A Whim - 1990 ChrisCraft Concept 198 - 4.3L HO, Cobra outdrive

Comment

kids with proper PFD's would love to be dragged around in the johnboat...it could also be the 'time out ' spot for them ....lolol
                        ... if they whine and cry , just let out more line till ya can't hear them.....lol
                        “Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.”
                        John F. Kennedy

sigpic1990 Bayliner 2002 Capri Cuddy /125 Force " Breaking Wind "

Comment

Originally posted by Stachi View Post
                          kids with proper PFD's would love to be dragged around in the johnboat...it could also be the 'time out ' spot for them ....lolol
                          ... if they whine and cry , just let out more line till ya can't hear them.....lol
                          Now that's funny
                          sigpic
                          '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                          12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                          Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

My 2 cents... when I was a kid, we used to ride on homemade pontoons. They were made of plywood. the toons themself were just made of marine plywood about 2 feet wide.... 2 feet high.... with the angled toon part at the front... the insides of them were filled with square styrofoam I believe... they were very buoyant. I am sure somebody else knows what I am talking about??

I would build that third toon out of wood - and measure it so it's the same deptch (or maybe an inche deeper or so...) than the 2 toons. Design some way to bolt it on and pray it never coems off and knocks the engine off...

I think this concept would look prettier.... probably give better lift... and still be a breeze to remove for trailering...

you could make the front stick out like the toons, and build a nice little deck on the front across the 2 existing toons... with a little locker door for extra storage in the middle toon
                            sigpic
                            1999 Princecraft 166 Pro
                            1998 Evinrude 70hp
                            2003 GMC Envoy 4.2L 4x4

Comment

between the 3 wakes, it is going to get turbulent under there. i think the jon would take on water from the sides.
                              FLORIDA GATORS
                              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X