Pontoon Motor Security

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old but good Landau 24' pontoon boat. Just finished a complete redecking, carpet, new DIY console and paint job on the rail panels. Looks good and will be even better when we get some striping material for the panels.

I ended up putting basically a new 2006 Yamaha 60 HP, 4 stroke, high thrust motor. It was used by a manufacturer on a prototype high end 42' toon who decided to go a different power route. The motor had only been in the water for less than 1 hour.

As I finished up the installation of the motor on the transome it dawned on me that it would be so easy to steal the motor. Four exposed bolts, the steering and power/control cables would probably take all of 5-10 minutes to remove and the crooks would make off with my motor.

Doing a search I found several products that are supposedly the cat's meyow in the security area. Some had bad ratings others I wonder about the efficientcy. Do any of you have any recommendations on securing the motor to the transom and the prop to the motor?

I just remembered a friend a few years ago secured his boat/trailer to a tree and it disappeared. His problem was he picked a small 4-5" diameter tree that the crooks just cut down. Moral of this story is to pick a very large tree next time with a huge chain and lock.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Pontoon Motor Security

one idea:
Use longer than normal bolts, drill a hole in each of them out close to the nut end and install a small padlock in all 4 of the bolts.
Costs less than 20 bucks. it may not keep it from being stolen but it will slow them down a bit.

Theft insurance is a good idea too.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would make sure I keep my insurance paid up and not worry about it. Unless you are in a high crime area, I don't think you will have any problems. The Pros aren't going to be too interested in a 60HP motor, they'll go for the big ones.... IMHO anyway.

And someone could probably steal your entire boat easier than just the motor.

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bifflefan for quick response. I did think about that too but decided it may not provide that much security or slow down. I can imagine a qucik hammer blow would remove any lock that would fit a hole in a 1/2" dia bolt.

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice

You are probably right about the insurance needs to be paid up and not worrying about it. I guess having an almost new motor just made me worry.

Our subdivision has had some problems on occasion here in the Fort Worth area, some the owners were just asking for it. Early this year a guy left his garage door open and someone stole some high powered guns out of the garage. Why he would store something like that in the garage, not in a safe and with all the ammo who knows.

Thanks for your input.

midnight1957

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, if you have access to a welder, have the nuts welded on at the end of the bolts, that way they would have to steal your boat in order to get the motor.
Hope this helps,
Wade

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Welding on a boat with an engine that is highly "electronic" is dangerous. Those electrics are delicate and stray current from a welder will toast them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

4 bolts, cut cables, gone in 5 minutes or less.

do what you think is right, due diligence, is the insurance term.

if they want it, they will get it.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just remember how heavy that motor was when you installed it! Going to take a couple husky guys to lift that beast off. Just keep up the insurance :D

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember how heavy that motor was when you installed it! Going to take a couple husky guys to lift that beast off. Just keep up the insurance :D

x2 on this. If they really want that motor they will get it. If they have the time to take off the bolts that hold the motor on, and the cable cutter to cut the controls then they will likely have the time and tools to cut off what ever lock you put on there as well. Best thing to do is leave it as mounted and pay your insurance. To a determined thief, the more difficult you make the motor to take off the more collateral damage that will be involved.

tashasdaddy

i rarely lock my van. there is nothing in it. if they want the radio that does not work, they can have it. i don't put the windows up at the mall. i think it just says, "there is nothing in here worth the trouble.

hodginsmn

Cadet

We had two wave runners on a trailer, each one was locked to the trailer with a cable lock, the trailer tongue had a lock on it and each trailer wheel had a Kryptonite U lock through the rim locking it to the trailer frame. They found the trailer about a week later and the waver runners were gone. The cable locks were still locked and it looked like they tried cutting them but couldn?t so they must have cut where they attached to the machines! If they want them, they will get them! Insurance is your best protection.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only "sure way" to stop a thief is with a S&W or a 12 gauge shotgun. It's the only thing a thief is afraid of & some of them aren't even afraid then.

A good friend of mine confronted a thief 2 months ago trying to steal his wife's Lexus in their driveway. He pulled his .45 on the thief & the idiot told him to go ahead & pull the trigger if he had enough nerve. That was the wrong thing to say to my friend. He happens to be an undercover FBI agent. His wife is still driving her Lexus & the "would be Lexus owner" is in jail recovering from a bullet wound to his shattered knee. Makes the old movie saying by Clint Eastwood "go ahead punk Make My Day" new meaning.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe it, no law enforcement officer would ever shoot to wound a suspect :rolleyes:

gerg

Recruit

I always use "Red" Locktite on any bolt/nut that I never plan on removing!

It's not impossible to defeat, a lot of heat helps, but you would definitely hear anyone trying to steal your motor cussin' LONG before they finished!!:)

gerg

"If olive oil comes from olives, Where does baby oil come from?"

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Pay for insurance ,allow them to earn the premiums...anything else you do is what my dad, who is retired NYPD, would refer to as an 'honest man's lock'... just enough to keep an honest man honest ......;)
in my day to day at work, I come across people who lock the glove box on their cars...I ask them just what it is they are trying to protect by locking it...usually , nothing of any great importance....if I was a thief , and found a locked glove box, I would tear it apart to see what was in it...and laugh at the fool who had locked it when I found it empty of valuables...if it had been unlocked , the dashboard would not need to be replaced now....:D

tashasdaddy

gerg, and when the service tech has to remove it to work on the trim and tilt, it is going to cost you dearly. the insurance would be cheaper.