Making a winter cover.

Jeep Man

Commander
Last year, I made up a winter cover for the old pontoon boat using 1 1/2" PVC pipe and a large tarp basically tenting the boat. It worked well. The new boat is 6" wider so the frame would have to be modified greatly. With the new boat, the dealer gave me the "travel" cover, which is what Sun Tracker ships them out of the factory with. It is a custom fit cover made of fairly heavy vinyl. I was thinking I could use the saw horse idea under the center and use this as my winter cover. My two concerns are: Where the boat is kept is subject to about 4 feet of snow. Last years design had a good slope to counter this problem. Second concern is condensation and mold. It's not practical to leave a fan unattended under the cover for all winter. What do you guys think, use the cover or modify last years structure?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Making a winter cover.

I've had two Suntrackers in the past with a mooring cover. Due to the fairly tight fit, I think you would have trouble getting enough slope to shed 4 feet of snow.

As far as the mold, you might place a small dehumidifier inside with a plastic hose run to the outside. It would run only when the humidity reaches a level determined by your setting.

I have two friends with the dehumidifier and both report very positive results.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last year, I made up a winter cover for the old pontoon boat using 1 1/2" PVC pipe and a large tarp basically tenting the boat. It worked well. The new boat is 6" wider so the frame would have to be modified greatly. With the new boat, the dealer gave me the "travel" cover, which is what Sun Tracker ships them out of the factory with. It is a custom fit cover made of fairly heavy vinyl. I was thinking I could use the saw horse idea under the center and use this as my winter cover. My two concerns are: Where the boat is kept is subject to about 4 feet of snow. Last years design had a good slope to counter this problem. Second concern is condensation and mold. It's not practical to leave a fan unattended under the cover for all winter. What do you guys think, use the cover or modify last years structure?

go back to the dealer and ask him if you can have some of the poles and strapping from other pontoons. That is what I did. Added the extra poles and strapping which gives it enough slope to keep the water from puddling up in the cover. Of course I live in Florida and so far haven't had to worry about the white stuff. Also ask for the clips that is used to secure the strap underneath the decking. Add these along underneath the decking, near the edge, into the aluminum cross pieces. This will hold the edge of the cover from lifting.

Jeep Man

Commander

Just for clarity, what this is, is a sewn vinyl, upholstery like material, with felt backing which is made to fit, with a flat top, sides, velcroed door opening, a rachet strap sewn into the bottom to draw it tight around the underside of the deck and hooks to hold it down.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it will never hold the snow, it is a "travel cover", designed for Florida winters. do it right, it is a new boat take care of it properly, modify or build a new tent frame.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year, I made up a winter cover for the old pontoon boat using 1 1/2" PVC pipe and a large tarp basically tenting the boat. It worked well.
Do you have any pics of your winter cover? I think I'm going to store ours at the house this winter so I can work on it on the nice days.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not add enough pvc to widen the current cover? You may need to add additional support but otherwise--------If it worked---------

Jeep Man

Commander

Why not add enough pvc to widen the current cover? You may need to add additional support but otherwise--------If it worked---------

That's what I figured I'll be doing. The other thing to work out is how I secure it. The old toon had 2 1/2" of deck outside the rail th set the frame on. The new one only has about an inch. And there are too many seats to go inside the railing

Jeep Man

Commander

Last year, I made up a winter cover for the old pontoon boat using 1 1/2" PVC pipe and a large tarp basically tenting the boat. It worked well.
Do you have any pics of your winter cover? I think I'm going to store ours at the house this winter so I can work on it on the nice days.

Sorry, no pics. The design was simple, reuseable and lended itself to working inside over the winter. The frame was made entirely of 1 1/2" PVC drain pipe and fittings from the local hareware store. The sides were cut just above the rail height, and then a 45 degree fitting to the peak. I had 4 vertical supports to the peak. Most joints were glued together, but some were screwed together to allow partial disassembly for storage. Maybe this year I'll take pictures when I erect it.

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

My Dad and I made a cover out of 3/4" PVC for a deck boat I had. We are applying that to idea to my Suntracker. The boat is 8' wide - I bought 10',
1" pvc. I then bought some 1" T's. We cut the T's at an angle (attaching them to the end of each piece of pvc) so they would sit on the top rail.

We did put a couple of cross bars connected to the top rails to keep them from spreading. We then put the tarp over the ribs and used bungie cords to secure the tarp over the boat to the trailer. We had one heck of an ice storm two years ago with this set-up and it while one of the "ribs" broke, it kept the snow and ice off of the boat. Good Luck!!

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

My Dad and I made a cover out of 3/4" PVC for a deck boat I had. We are applying that to idea to my Suntracker. The boat is 8' wide - I bought 10',
1" pvc. I then bought some 1" T's. We cut the T's at an angle (attaching them to the end of each piece of pvc) so they would sit on the top rail.

We did put a couple of cross bars connected to the top rails to keep them from spreading. We then put the tarp over the ribs and used bungie cords to secure the tarp over the boat to the trailer. We had one heck of an ice storm two years ago with this set-up and while one of the "ribs" broke, it kept the snow and ice off of the boat. Good Luck!!