Pontoon Tachometer Problem

Sanman989

Recruit
I just got a 1998 SunChaser with a 60HP Mercery Mariner bigfoot for free with a trailer. the boat is in excellent condition minus a few electrical connections that I have fixed but I can not figure out where the Tachometer hooks up into the engine. I know it sounds silly but Since I am new to "Boating" I am not able to figure out where the tach gets hooked up into the motor. Does anyone have an idea where I can get a Schematic of the engine so I can figure this out?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon Tachometer Problem

Any Mercury dealer can order you one and their mechanics just may be kind enough to tell you.

You should also post in the engine forum.

Most engines from that era had all of the wires run near where the wiring harness entered the motor and the tach wires were in that harness. In case you have just two wires for the tach, you should look near the ignition module.

Good luck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need to go near the engine. The cable entering the control box (thottle/shift control box) has pigtails hanging from it for connection to the tach. The tach needs +12 volts from the "A" (accessory) terminal on the ignition switch, ground, and the "S" (send signal) from the engine.

mercfixer

Cadet

Depending on how new the remote is, there it a plug on your remote, either made into the remote, or hanging from it. The connection will have several "pin connections" in it, three or four, can't recall off hand. You need to go to a merc. dealer if this is the case and get a "tachometer harness" connector.
I can't give you a part number right now because my laptop with parts and diagnostic is at work in my tool box. The gray wire on the harness is the signal wire for the tach. You could also run a wire from the tach. to the gray wire on the voltage regulator on the motor. If you need a part # let me know.

Jeep Man

Commander

Depending on how new the remote is, there it a plug on your remote, either made into the remote, or hanging from it. The connection will have several "pin connections" in it, three or four, can't recall off hand. You need to go to a merc. dealer if this is the case and get a "tachometer harness" connector.
I can't give you a part number right now because my laptop with parts and diagnostic is at work in my tool box. The gray wire on the harness is the signal wire for the tach. You could also run a wire from the tach. to the gray wire on the voltage regulator on the motor. If you need a part # let me know.

To avoid jumping on this thread, I'm posting a question in the Merc forum concerning a Water Pressure Line. I'd appreciate your response if you know the answer.

wilson3

Recruit

I have a 1999 21 foot Tracker party barge. It has a 50 merc. The tach no longer works. Where can I find a replacement ?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some general diagrams.....hope it helps. Purple wire.

Console Wiring.jpgInstrumentPanelWiring2.jpginstrumentWiring.jpg

NOTE: wilson3....welcome to the forum buddy...please remember that they don't like it when you 'hijack' a forum with a question like that. Please start your own thread by posting in either this forum or the engine forum. Thanks.