What size motor should a 22 pontoon have?

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What size motor should a 22 pontoon have?

You should have a plate that list Max Hp rating. Mine is 75 or 90 but I have a 40hp because of price and I don't pull anyone. 40hp is fast enough on our lake. The one neighbor has a 24 footer with a 25hp and the other has a 115hp.

The short answer is no more then the max rating and the rest depends on what you want to do with the pontoon.

New Tooner

Cadet

Has to have a name plate with max hp. The final determination is you.

Size of lake and / or roughness is a good way to look at it (wherever you boat). Sometimes there are HP limits. It's important to size an engine based on preferences. What will you be happy cruising at? Will the need for speed get you too?

Need extra hp for higher cruising speeds (gas usage, wear and tear). You don't want to run WOT no matter what size). I have a 90 hp, 21' that gets me 30 mph on smooth water (unloaded). That is the max on the nameplate.

I'm guessing you'd be able to hang more than 90.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

What do you want to do with it?

If you are going to pull askier or tube you need a bigger engine than you would to just putter around the lake but again you canonly go as big as your rating plate says.

martys

Cadet

I have a Premier 22.5, Legend RE, Triple Toon Ski Package with with a 150 E-TEC. If you are pulling tubes or skiers, this is a nice set-up. Top speed is low forties while cruising between 25 to 30 is a comfortable ride, even in choppy water.