Should I Buy A Pontoon Or A Fishing Boat?

jw2101

Cadet
Ok heres the deal, last year I bought a lemon of a boat (not by choice), I liked it because it was a 20ft with lots of room for the kids and wife. Well every time we were out on the water no one really had fun because of all the problems it gave us. So now I am deciding on a pontoon. I get kinda eager to buy one when I think of relaxing with the family, swimming, and fishing with all that room. Then again can you really do some seriouse fishing in one? Also lot of big water over here, can a pontoon reach higher speeds? Help me out what do you think.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Should I Buy A Pontoon Or A Fishing Boat?

It all depends on what you really want.
I went through almost the same circumstances. I had a decent fishing boat that I had troubles at first but got it running like a dream. My wife and 2 little girls did not enjoy going with me because the boat was cramped and the girls really couldn't have that much fun on it. I actually sold it by accident. LOL (Never price anything unless you intend you actually want to sell it)

Since then I bought a 24' Lowe pontoon and I actually like fishing out of it a little better but I also has it's draw backs. It's not as fast , You are not going anywhere in a hurry in a pontoon boat anyways. If you are going to fish off of it make sure you get one that has a bow room to put you some fishing seats.

The most important thing is that my girls are more safe and it's also nice the whole family can enjoy fishing instead of just me, But I do miss the bass boat some, But the family involvement is fun too. Plus I can take a bunch fishing also(My kids My brother and his kids and what not.) You can make a mean fishing platform with a pontoon. Mine has a hardtop and I fabricated some rod holders and I can carry 18 rods out of the way.

cristileigh

Cadet

I've owned a pontoon... and I loved it. It all depends on your preference.
The bad thing about the pontoon in my experience was it was too tall on the trailer to fit in my garage, it was like pulling a brick wall and sucked the gas out of my Explorer.... Other than that, I found it to be a great all around boat on the water.

Good Luck!

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice

If your pockets are deep you can have a go fast pontoon, if you want performance get a tripple toon, with 150 to 250 hp outboard and you will 40 45 + MPH

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 24ft fishing pontoon.

Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2. Comes with two live wells, four fishing chairs (one on each corner), rod holders, rod locker, GPS/fishfinder. I added a double bimini and upgraded the forward chairs. I put a 175 Yamaha on the back end.

I get 37MPH top and it handles like a bowrider. I can do donuts, figure 8's, jump my own wake etc. Pulling a tube (3 person) is a snap.

We've fished 6 men and 2 boys off it at the same time. Everyone had room.

Truly an all purpose boat.

While I cannot get into some of the places a fishing boat can get, I've not had any problem getting anywhere I've wanted to go so far.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have a pontoon boat as well, and the reason for having it is family fun. We enjoy the space, the smoothness of the ride, and the safety with small grand children. My days of high speed are behind me in the prop wash. From what I have heard and read, a deckboat might be what would work best for you. You get the space of the pontoon and the speed of your fishing boat.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

If you ever get caught in a storm, a pontoon is a lot safer than a fishing boat.

Just realize that when trolling, wind will be more an issue as the fencing can act like a sail.

jw2101

Cadet

Thanks guys, I have not herd any complaints about a toon yet. I think my mind is made up.

hvachillbilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a 21 ft fishin barge (sun tracker) on a nice day i can go as low as one foot of water with trollin motor and engine out of water but trollin motor not much good in wind as stated early

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fishing off of a toon is a wonderful experiece. That said as long as you don't stretch its limits with weather etc.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Bass Tracker 175 with a 75hp and love the thing. But now I have a wife daughter and one on the way.
I am going to miss my 40 mph bass boat... but family time is always better than speeding around all by my lonesome. Toon here I come.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is just very hard to beat the versatility of a pontoon boat,I have had both and I sold my bass boat to do a restore on my pontoon,I do not regret selling the bass boat,but would miss my pontoon boat if I sold it. A very strong troll motor will help with the wind problem but is still iffy if very windy.

Frankenstien

Cadet

ahhh but you fail to mention.... Fresh or Salt water, Big Lake or Local lakes and rivers.

Local Lakes, Rivers, Inland Water Ways, Toons.... if your hitting the Big Water, then stick with the Deep V...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i presently have a 20Ft with a 50 hp, it likes rough water. i am in the process of revamping it. to exactly what i want. it will have a 140 Johnson. i want to be able to walk all the way around the rails, swing back seats, you can face in or out. i love fishing off this steady platform. also have a wireless motor guide trolling motor.

toonrehab001.jpg

Frankenstien

Cadet

i presently have a 20Ft with a 50 hp, it likes rough water.

Inland Rough is no where near Open Channel Rough, I have had mine in Puget sound when the Weather turn ... very Gray. WE had 3ft swells at 4' with 4' wind waves, Though the pontoon handled it well, (no concerns of being in danger) I was not a fan of taking water across the deck, in this case SALT water. Played havoc on the Wiring for a couple of years after that. Constantly having things stop working due to corrosion. Just my opinion, I'm not a fan of playing in swells that wash across the deck.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

We have a '24 Starcraft Starfish pontoon. It's powered by a 115 merc, have a 9.9 merc four stroke kicker and a 55lb minn kota trolling motor up front. I have cannon electric down riggers , a hardtop with a bimini top and although it's not fast by any means, it's stable as can be.

I put rod holders on the hardtop and can store a dozen rods rigged and out of the way.

DCP_4182.jpg

DCP_4207.jpg

DCP_4049-1.jpg

jimpatsy

Recruit

I've had all sorts of boats over the years, deep v, bass, and runabout. I purchased my first pontoon last year and wish I would have done it years ago. I can now take the wife and grandkids with me. Wife never enjoyed boating before but actually was able to get her to pilot it while my brother in law and I trolled in Dale Hollow lake last fall.
Pontoons are great for family fun.

Expidia

Commander

I love that full canvas enclosure pictured above. Can really extend the good times in bad weather and stretch your seasons out too!

And this sweet canvas accessory can really seal the deal with the Ladies. Most fear going on a boat like a pontoon because they have no where to change or use the porta potty in privacy.

For $60 it's a must have accessory. My wife loves it! Stores up out of site in the top of a bimini until you drop it down:

67867privacy_3.jpg

Here is a shot of it in use on my boat. Even might have some other uses if the fish'in's slow you wanted to get creative :D

DSC05553.jpg

DSC05552.jpg

ezrollin

Seaman

Keep in mind that some pontoons are build with fishing in mind and some or built with cruising in mind and have more benches and chairs than your living room.If you want to fish get one that's built for fishing,it will still have penlty of seats and more room to move around. I have a 90 hp suzki on my 20 ft and it will do 30 plus,enough speed for most people.