What'll happen if I remove the transom splash shields?

RICKPRO

Cadet
I have an older (c 1989?) 20ft Sea Nymph pontoon boat with a Johnson outboard 40HP engine. The spot welds attaching the wing-like splash shields to the transom box are failing because of damage caused by my trailer (bad fit:mad:).
Since I'm having difficulty finding someone who welds aluminum, and friends have asked me if I really require the splash shields, can I just remove them?

What will be affected (and how) if I do?

See photo of right side splash shield, level with trailer taillight.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 090706 Splash guard.jpg
    090706 Splash guard.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What'll happen if I remove the transom splash shields?

Can you post some pics.. Hard to tell you what will happen without seeing them.

RICKPRO

Cadet

Thanks Rick.

WILCO tomorrow, as soon as I get back to town and find the right cable to allow me to hook camera directly to the laptop. :eek:

Rick

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

They are there for a reason you can be sure water will be everywhere
if removed.And transom may become a giant drag in the water.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know what will happen without them, but there was a reason for putting them there.

Any competent welding shop can weld aluminum, so I would keep looking for someone to repair the shields.

It shouldn't be too expensive if you can get the boat to them. It's only about a 15 minute job, so they should be able to do it while you wait.

Good luck and report back on your solution.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

I assume you are talking about those wings attached to the V along the side of where the transom goes. If So, I noticed that I'm missing the one on the left side of mine. Since I dont know what they were for, my toon still works, so I have no idea. it seems to work OK without them.

RICKPRO

Cadet

I assume you are talking about those wings attached to the V along the side of where the transom goes. If So, I noticed that I'm missing the one on the left side of mine. Since I dont know what they were for, my toon still works, so I have no idea. it seems to work OK without them.
Thanks to all so far. I've just posted the photo, in case that helps. I'm most inspired by Chrisg's comments (Post 401)- you'll see that this is exactly the piece(s) that I'm talking about. I'm almost ready to remove them, try it out and have them welded back on if I really need them. It appears that, in their absence, I've still got a similar structure right above them.

Rick

Jeep Man

Commander

It would maybe help to know where you are. One of us may be in your area and be able to set you up with a good welder.

RICKPRO

Cadet

It would maybe help to know where you are. One of us may be in your area and be able to set you up with a good welder.
OK, guys (and gals?), here's the story......I'm in Ottawa Canada, but my boat is about 200 km (120 mi)due west, at the south end of a 16 km (10 mi) lake, and the closest town, Barry's Bay (pop 1200) is at the north end. We'e on the Madawaska River system, which flows into the Ottawa River, which flows into the St Lawrence past Montreal and Quebec City on into the Atlantic, eventually. Sorry guys, lots of dams!

I have found a good welder in town who'll come out to my site (I can't trailer the boat and don't want to use it with loose guards), but I don't get back to the lake until Wednesday night. I have a good friend visiting from WV and I really need the boat on Thursday to show him around, which is why I'm ready to take the guards off, if only temporarily. If it works at all, I could get the boat into town, later, and fix it......

I just don't want to drown/strand my friend and me. :)

Rick

Rick

RICKPRO

Cadet

OK, guys (and gals?), here's the story......I'm in Ottawa Canada, but my boat is about 200 km (120 mi)due west, at the south end of a 16 km (10 mi) lake, and the closest town, Barry's Bay (pop 1200) is at the north end. We'e on the Madawaska River system, which flows into the Ottawa River, which flows into the St Lawrence past Montreal and Quebec City on into the Atlantic, eventually. Sorry guys, lots of dams!:eek:

I have found a good welder in town who'll come out to my site (I can't trailer the boat and don't want to use it with loose guards), but I don't get back to the lake until Wednesday night. A good friend is visiting from WV and I really need the boat on Thursday to show him around, which is why I'm ready to take the guards off, if only temporarily. If it works at all, I could get the boat into town, later, and replace them.....

So, the REAL question is, do I risk doing damage to my boat or drowning myself and my friend if I remove these guards. If it only causes a lot of splashing but no harm or damage, then I can live with it for a day or two, and get it fixed when the welder can come to my place. :redface:

Rick

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

You won't damage your boat by removing them, You may notice a little more splashing and it is possible that they provide a little stern lift but I am not sure about that.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Ah, Home, where the water is NOT BROWN! ( and a lake is a lake, not a DAM'ed river!!!) - can you take a pic, so I can show the kids that not all water is brown!

You know why there's a green belt around Ottawa? All the BS produced from the hill!!!!!!!

So, after the attached pics, and postings, we see this only reduced splashing!, Well, I would not be fixing mine anytime soon (Since I don't know what it was like them on) then again, mine is a '89, 24 footer party barge.

you could pay to get it welded back, just to have it break off again.

RICKPRO

Cadet

Hey Chris, were you ever on exchange or Embassy duty in Ottawa? You obviously know the secrets!

I think I've got all ther input I need to proceed. Gonna try without and fix it later, if I need to.

Here's a small (per the reg!) photo of some blue water, Enjoy!

Thanks to all,

Rick

Attachments

• 080830 blue water lo res.jpg
    080830 blue water lo res.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0