24' Pontoon w/ Trolling Motor As Primary Help

The Hitman

Recruit
Hello, Newbie here, I have a incredible deal on a 24' 2 toon Boat, the problem is the lake where i camp is electric motor's only, now ive seen 80lb and 101lb trolling motors but i was wondering if it is possible or smart to one of these trolling motors as the primary motor and your thoughts/tips/suggestions. Thanks.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 24' Pontoon w/ Trolling Motor As Primary Help

as long as its not a big lake it should work fine my 65 pound thrust motor pushes my toon well. i would think a 100 pound would work real good

Jeep Man

Commander

I'd look into some of the electric outboards that are available.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

There is a company called Torquedo(sp) that makes electric outboards, they go on the transom and steer just like a regular engine only they are electric, probably a litle more expensive than a troller but they are made to do what you want to do.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

MinnKota also makes electric outboards, steered at the helm and with hand controls.

fubar007

Cadet

Electric Outboards can run THOUSANDS along with needing a massive battery bank. I run a cheepie 55 pound Watersnake trolling motor on my Crest III 28' or is it 29???? 5.8 MPH GPS speed wide open. 3.5 at half speed. It is almost us less in a good windy day! Normally crusing at half throttle a deep cycle lasts me 8 hours. I would suggest a min. 4 batteries for an all day cruise at full power. My motor draws nearly 50 AMPS at full load.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, the electric outboards are expensive. Go with the 100 lb. thrust. It'll move the boat quite well in all but the highest of winds.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

We just 're-did' our pontoon, and took it out for the first time yesterday to do a little afternoon fishing. It has a Yamaha 40 hp -- and it still wasn't quite running right... it worked, but not well... I suspect that it's a prop issue... Previous owner fournd a used prop on a thrift sale for it. :rolleyes: Surprised it wasn't working well. :facepalm:

So, I dug out the 80lb Minn-kota 24V (I don't go anywhere without it.) and stuck it on. It moved us right along... 7 of us on the pontoon (and if you look at us, you'd say we never eat a salad :D) and we were doing a pretty good clip. I didn't take out my GPS to check it, but I would say 4-5 mph. I really enjoy the quietness of a trolling motor than the gas engine anyway -- I would look into maybe a 101 lb... and a couple of spare batteries just to be sure you don't get out there.... and can't get back.

fubar007

Cadet

No doubt! I use the trolling motor in the river always! It doesn't cost me gas and I LOVE the quiet ride.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

You made a great point as well: at $4.29 a gallon for premium, that's something to consider as well. Good luck to you!

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Glad I ran across this thread. We're planning a 65 mile trip down Black Warrior river. We intend to do it very slowly and take 2 days to do it... So, maybe buying a $100 battery would be a better investment than an extra $100 worth of gas. I have a 16 ft pontoon with a 50 hp Yamaha and a 65 lb thrust trolling motor ... and enough room up front for a small tent even with a couple of coolers and live well. I've got a cheap inflatable boat I bought at Big Lots for $20 just in case I need to paddle to safety.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I meet a guy a few years ago who put a hole in the center of his pontoon boat and he had put a trolling motor in it. He could lower the motor to be in the water just right .He said he had better steering this way.He was a commerical crabber.and it didn't scare the crabs away like the 120 mp Merc he had on the back. He could dso a 360 standing in one spot.