• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

lifting strakes

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifting strakes

can lifting strakes be added to any pontoon and how do you do this? solid welds? location? lenght? placement front to back? by the way i have a 22f/c G3 not a tri toon.

Re: lifting strakes

We add strakes to tubes all thetime so yes it can be done but be very careful who you have do it as they are below the water line most of the time.

Does G3 offer strakes, if so it would be best to use what they originally put on the boat, they can also provided dimensions.

Hydrodynamics are kinda funny, if the chine is just a little too long or short it will really affect how they work, we have run R&D boat that didn't do very well, you take off or add 2' of chine and they are perfect.

Too long and you lift the transom too much and cause the bow to plow too short and you don't get enough lift.

No you don't need to weld them full length, we go 3'' of weld top and bottom every 2' of chine.

So get with G3 and see if you can get chines from them, post what they say and we will go from there.
    GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

thanks! i got in touch with G3 and waiting on their reply. ill post as sson as i get info

Comment

How much HP do you have? At low speed the strakes can actually create additional drag and slow the toon down. You need enough power to benefit from the strakes.

I looked into adding them on my toon but the manufacturer said I need at least 150hp to see a difference, while I disagree I am not willing to blow the money only to find out they were right and end up slowing my boat down.
        Rick
        2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
        115hp Honda 4-stroke
        2007 Suburban LTZ
        Lake Murray, SC
        sigpic

Comment

115 Hp

Comment

New to the forum and just ran across this thread. I have a 27' landau tri-toon and am considering contacting the manufacturer to see if I can get lifting strakes added.

One thing that confuses me is that the brochure for my pontoon states a maximum hp rating of 150hp for my boat without lifting strakes but then states that with the lifting strakes option you can go up to 250hp. Why would lifting strakes make a difference in the hp rating. Isn't hp ratings usually determined by the construction of the boat and the wieght ratings. I always thought lifting strakes were more for handling than anything else.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can jump in and sort this out.

Comment

Originally posted by gecko454 View Post
              New to the forum and just ran across this thread. I have a 27' landau tri-toon and am considering contacting the manufacturer to see if I can get lifting strakes added.

One thing that confuses me is that the brochure for my pontoon states a maximum hp rating of 150hp for my boat without lifting strakes but then states that with the lifting strakes option you can go up to 250hp. Why would lifting strakes make a difference in the hp rating. Isn't hp ratings usually determined by the construction of the boat and the wieght ratings. I always thought lifting strakes were more for handling than anything else.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can jump in and sort this out.
              Here's my guess:

Without strakes a pontoon is a displacement hull. It plows through the water instead of over it. Every displacement hull has a "hull speed" beyond which the application of more power will do little or nothing*. It just can't go any faster (IIRC it has to do with the length of the bow wave generated by moving through the water).

With strakes a pontoon becomes a planinf hull, it moves over the top of the water instead of through it. Adding more power to a planing hull results in increased speed.

The company probably figured at that 150 will move the boat up to its hull speed. No use adding any more power as it won't do any good. It would only add weight to the stern and affect the handling of the boat.

But adding strakes means that the increased HP can be used and the company has probably designed the transom and supporting structure to support that weight and power so why not use it?

*hull design can affect this speed but there is only so much you can do with a displacement hull. see -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_speed
              2007 Manitou Osprey Pro SHP
              Yamaha 175 HPDI VMAX

Comment

John
                There is a guy in MO. that has these strakes,I got mine this weekend. They are G3's

Bill's Boat Stuff

-
                4105 Highway 68
                -

Salem, Missouri 65560

bgordes@fidnet.com

573-729-4617

Comment

if lifting strakes help why would you need more hp to push the toon?

thats what it sounds like to me.

Comment

It takes power to get up on the strakes. Once there I can back off and maintain plane. I have 115 hp on a 22 ft Party Barge twin tube with 2 strakes on each tube.

Glenn
                    sigpic

08 Sun Tracker Regency, Party Barge 22
                    08 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke

Comment

So far I haven't had any luck contacting landau. I think with the economy manufacturers are cutting back wherever possible and it seems customers service (telephone and email support) have been drastically cut, at least that's what my local marina/dealer said and my experience backs up their claim.

Any idea what it would cost to add lifting stakes to a 27' Tri-toon. It's a Landau with the U shaped tubes. I'm currently thinking about just doing the center toon on both sides and then only on the inside of the two outside tubes.

Another option that was mentioned on another forum was to replace the center toon with one that was larger, designed more towards planning and continued all the way to the rear of the boat with a built in transom. FYI the current set up has the center toon end about 4 ft from the back of the boat and the has a separate transom which the motor mounts to.

Comment

Landau finally returned my call and they told me that although I could have gotten lifting strakes installed from the factory at the time the boat was purchased they are unwilling to add them now.

I'm not sure if anybody is still following this thread but I would still like to find somebody to install lifting strakes on my tritoon. If you have any info on people with a good track record of adding lifting strakes I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

From what #2 says, the manufacturers have done a lot of R&D on adding lifting strakes. It sounds as if it's pretty technical--and strakes are not just generic items. My 24' boat has max. power and no strakes--and I can vouch that it hits a mph wall--and won't go any faster.

If you want more performance, you may need to trade for a factory prepared tritoon with hi performance strakes and a little larger motor.

Comment

If you have U shaped toons they may be filled with foam. Most U toons are. Welding on a toon filled with foam could be problematic. The heat from welding could start a fire in the foam. Recommend you determine if you have foam or not.

Glenn
                            sigpic

08 Sun Tracker Regency, Party Barge 22
                            08 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke

Comment

I'm running a 24' Suncruiser, 70 hp Evinrude. Gave strakes the same thought. Decided to go with a Water Glide system, with floor joist sheeting. If you provide Water Glide with the proper measurments, their computers will give proper install numbrers.

System works extremely well. Speed up, fuel consumption down and handeling is improved incredibly. About a weekend install process, with boat on the trailer.

Worked so well, I became a dealer!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X