Removing mold from carpeting?

gfisch

Recruit
Just wondering what product or homemade remedies are good at removing mold from pontoon carpeting?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing mold from carpeting?

cascade with dawn dishwasher soap, disolved in a bucket of hot water, pour it on, work it with a brush, rinse well, then keep it covered but well ventilated.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I tell my customers to think of the mold, mildew and moss, like a dandelion root. It extends deep into the material, plucking the top off doesn't kill the root and it will soon grow back. Except these are fungi, with MULTIPLE ROOTS. Well, not the moss, it's actually a lichen, (still got root).

Dollar Store Tilex, cheap and very effective. Liberally spray the affected area, let it soak 15 - 20 minutes then proceed to clean the material as Tashasdaddy suggests.

Warning, keep the Tilex off your jeans, cotton will bleach out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Park the boat in the sun. Sunlight will kill mold as well but obviously you still need to scrub the carpet.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tilex, works, but don't make habit of using it on the vinyl

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Oh, yea, thanks for reminding me.

I forgot to mention that.

After using Tilex on any vinyl you MUST give the material a lot of TLC, spend some quality time with a big bottle of vinyl conditioner to restore the oils in the material that the Tilex (and sunlight) strip out, otherwise in a year or two the vinyl will dry out, crack and split.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I just used a pressure washer. I blew it into next Tuesday with no damage to the carpet :)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The pressure washer is good for plucking the 'top' off, it is a quick and easy way to freshen up the overall appearance of a neglected craft. But the root source of the growth is still hidden within the carpet backing and WILL regrow within the year.

Careful on carpet more than a few years old, you can blow holes in it!

Been there! Always hate to damage someone else's boat.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Don't you like the feel of walking on moss?

I did the power washer thing, so it will come back?! guess I'll get the Lysol Mildew Remover.