Pontoon Trolling Motor Size

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need some advice guys. I have a 24 ft pontoon boat that I want to add a trolling motor to. It will be used for fishing as well as an alternate source of power in case my 70 hp Johnson happens to quite on me out on the lake or the river. I want something to get me back to shore. I have an oppertunity to buy a good used Minn Kota 55# thrust 12V with the flexable shaft still under warranty from a good friend but would like to know it is is big enough. The shaft length is 48 inches & it comes with remote control. Any advice will be appreciated. I HAD to PADDLE this boat once upon a time & it nearly gave this old man a heart attack getting it to the dock. I can't do that anymore for any reason now.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon Trolling Motor Size

Well a 55 is the biggest 12 volt you can get and should do fine for a toon that size.

A deal on a troller is hard to come by so I would jump on it, we put 55lb trollers on our boats at Bennington as an option if that tells you anyhting.

Last year my motor quit and we had to troll back to the launch, problem was it was over 2 miles, upstream, took about 2 1/2 hours but we made it and it beat the other option which was sitting all night wating for a tow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a 45 lb thrust remote control on my 20', does fine until the wind really gets to blowing. 55lb should be fine for you.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

The 55 lb will work fine on your 24' toon unless it gets windy. I have one on mine and it works fine.

DCP_4049-1.jpg

I had to offset mine so the dog could see out.

Jeff

I have hardtop/bimini/canvas up, need any pictures?

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd like to see more "detail" pics of your entir set up as this is what I am wanting to do to mine. I am also the proud owner of the Minn Kota 55# V2 with co-pilot trolling motor. I just couldn't turn a "DEAL" down. I once HAD to paddle a 20 ft pontoon for over a mile against the current. It nearly gave me a heart attack. I'll not have to worry about that anymore. At least I hope not.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to see more "detail" pics of your entir set up as this is what I am wanting to do to mine. I am also the proud owner of the Minn Kota 55# V2 with co-pilot trolling motor. I just couldn't turn a "DEAL" down. I once HAD to paddle a 20 ft pontoon for over a mile against the current. It nearly gave me a heart attack. I'll not have to worry about that anymore. At least I hope not.

Here you go sir http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=307420 Detailed write up on my hardtop bimini top with full enclosure.

Is that one of the auto-pilot motors? If so, I'm jealous. :p I miss mine. It died the one year up in Ontario Canada and all the store had was regular Minn Cota units, no auto pilots in stock. The regular one I got was better than none at all.

It's so nice to pick a general direction and fish.

Jeff