Pontoon Tilt and Trim

Clea

Seaman Apprentice
I have got a 2003 Johnson 90 hp efi Four Stroke. It's mounted on a 22 foot pontoon. It has tilt and trim' but no gauge. Where do I determine if it has a sensor and the wires if any, under the dash. Need help Please Thanks Charlie

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Pontoon Tilt and Trim

u can always look back at it when u tilt it up and down lol.:D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Find the dash end of the wiring harness for the motor, that is where the wires will come out.

The entire wire harness for the motor is cover in a thick plastic sheath and shouldn't be hard to find, maybe trace back the wires from the ignition switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My feelings are that unless you can't see the engine from the helm, a trim gauge is the most useless gauge on a boat. The seat of your pants and the tachometer tells you what the proper trim setting is. That said, the trim gauge wire colors in the schematic I have are Tan/White, Purple, and Tan/Black. Those wires will in the cable coming from the engine to the control box and then probably coiled up under the console or in the area of the control box.

SoulWinner

Commander

My feelings are that unless you can't see the engine from the helm, a trim gauge is the most useless gauge on a boat. .

As is the case with every single pontoon boat that I have ever seen........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The engine on my current model or any other pontoon I've owned is readily visible! And since I'm apparently wrong with my feelings about the usefulness of a trim gauge, I'll say I'm probably wrong on the wire colors for the T&T wires since this is a Suzuki built engine with a Johnson name on it so the wire colors would be Suzuki - not Johnson. Close as I can get for Suzuki would be Pink, Gray, and light blue.

Noepro

Recruit

Never done this befor. But is there anywhere on line that i can look up to figure out how to wire the tilt trim on my poontoon. All thats left is the motor but no wireing to console. Im a 1st time boat owner. But am willing to learn how to repair it myself. Any help would be appreciated.