Pontoon engine size?

gtownky

Seaman
I have a 140 chrysler motor that i am wanting to put on a pontoon that i just bought. The pontoon needs to be redone with flooring, seats and motor. I was wanting to know if this is to much motor for thr pontoon or will this work? The price of the motor was good but not sure if it is going to be to much. The toons are 27 foot and deck is 24 foot harris. Thanks

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pontoon engine size?

What is the max hp rated on your plate? I have a 20' and my max is 90hp. You might want to check out pontoonstuff.com if you are doing a rebuild

mniact

Cadet

I have a 27' tritoon and the max engine size noted on the plate is a 225 hp motor. I have a 140 4-stroke on it now and it does a good job, I max out at 28 mph.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Check your plate. Depending on the log size. Most 2 log older toons of that length are rated for a max 115hp. Exceeding that will get you into legal problems if anything ever happens.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the time you can find it mounted on or near the console. It is the plate that states the max number of people and weight for the boat.

gtownky

Seaman

I think the plate has disappeared sometime in its life the console has been replaced sometime or anouth. Thanks for the help

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

What is the year make and model of the toon? 1 or 2 logs? DO you know what the diameter or the logs are.

gtownky

Seaman

Not sure of any of those questions except it has two toons still working on getting title. I may have to get a homemade title. I know it is 27 foot toons 24 foot deck. It is older pontoon, Harris. how do yo measure the toons? around or across? Thanks