Trim tabs on Pontoon?

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice
I've a tri-toon, and I wondered if anyone has ever put trim tabs on a Pontoon? The center tube is deeper than the outer giving it somewhat of a keel (2" deeper.) I thought it might help in slower speed planing, and with pulling tubers. I can make such tight turns with my power steering that I have to rev up to pull out of the turns. Thought the trim tabs might make that a smoother manuver.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim tabs on Pontoon?

sent a message to the king of tabs, to look at this.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"I have to rev up to pull out of the turns"

I would play with prop selection and motor height before trying tabs.

Kelly

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a Saltwater II Series SS prop.

As for varying the motor height, are you talking about trimming it up? I don't believe there are mounting options??

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've a tri-toon, and I wondered if anyone has ever put trim tabs on a Pontoon? The center tube is deeper than the outer giving it somewhat of a keel (2" deeper.) I thought it might help in slower speed planing, and with pulling tubers. I can make such tight turns with my power steering that I have to rev up to pull out of the turns. Thought the trim tabs might make that a smoother manuver.

Do you have the ESP package because according to the Bennington web site it says:

"All three tubes are 25" vertically for flat bottom / easy trailering"

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Page.aspx/pageId/1610/Elliptical-Sport-Package.aspx

So are you saying on your pontoon the larger 32" elliptical center tube is actually lower than the 2 outer 25" tubes?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not familiar with the Saltwater II Series SS prop. Suppose that was supplied by Yamaha? If your dealer is no help with finding the best prop, then try an actual prop shop. Don't be surprised if the best prop turns out to not be by Yamaha.

Outboard motor installations typically have multiple sets of holes, so that the motor can be fitted to different heights on the transom. In this particular case it may be that dropping the motor down one hole would help. Again, consult dealer.

Kelly

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It might appear the center tube is lower but it is level with the outboard tubes.

They are all 25'' tubes and use the same brackets.

Turning 3 22' tubes takes quite a bit of energy so you may just need to bump the throttle when you are making a sharp turn at low speeds to maintain speed, it is kind of the nature of the beast.

I have thought about the trim tabs and first you would need to make some pretty stout custom brackets to mount them(3/16'' minimum) and find a competent welder to weld the brackets on.

I would worry that the added force on the end caps would cause the aluminum to crack at the edge of the weld, welds seldom fail, it is the metal at the edge of the weld that cracks.

And are you talking about Smart Tabs or actual console controlled trim tabs?

Glad to see you stuck around SL

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

Well, firstly I have to fess up to being a dope. I certainly did believe the center tube was deeper and that there was a psuedo-keel, but NCLakeBoater and 5150abf both correctly point out I was wrong. Hey, I can say it feels like a keel, the way it turns (it feels great, in case that's not coming across right...;-])

As for the prop, it was dealer recommended.

KCook, 5150abf has kinda given me what I was looking for. If there's a risk to the toons I'm quite happy to keep bumping the throttle a little in those tight turns. I'll also admit to being shy to trim the motor down completely. My bay is so shallow I rarely think of putting it all the way down, and never having pulled tubers before I can see how I should be changing the way I use the motor.

KCook, thanks for the advice on the prop, I'll talk to my Yamaha mechanic about it.

5150abf, didn't know there were choices with such tabs, I just thought there'd be a toggle on the dash...and yup, still here...;-]

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Err, if you're only "bumping the throttle a LITTLE in those tight turns" then I agree with 5051abf, this is simply the name of the game with 'toons. I was under the impression you really had to gun it. So please forget my prior advice. My bad.

Kelly

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

KCook,

To keep things straight, I'm no pro. I can turn and cause cavitation. When I'm pulling someone (the only time it matters, i.e. the only time I'd likely do it) I have to increase speed to stop the cavitation. I was under the impression that trim tabs might help prevent that (no technical basis for this impression, just my impression.)

My fear about increasing speed was that I'd have to quickly reduce speed the minute the cavitation stopped or I'd give the tubers a thorough jolt of speed...and my tubers didn't want that.

So, might be a prop issue, or I'm now thinking its more likely a boat driver skill issue...;-]

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"I'll also admit to being shy to trim the motor down completely. My bay is so shallow I rarely think of putting it all the way down"

So put a poly (plastic) prop on instead of the SS. Start trimming IN, and see it the bottom really does bite you. It's very, very easy to trim a 'toon out too much. In fact one rental operation I used had the trim frozen on their 'toons. Mis-trimming was such a common problem with their customers.

Kelly

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I see now, I was gonna put this in my other post but didn't think it was the problem.

All the company boats I have ever taken out cavitate when you turn, all you need to do is drop the trim alittle when you start your turn, after a couple times it will become second nature and you won't even think about it.

You will have to experiment a little to see what works best but that should solve your problem.

There are Smart Tabs that have a gas assist shock on them and they automaticly come up as speed increase and then there is the kind you weretalking about that operate from the helm.

there is, of coarse, a keel on the center tube but it is 1/2 thick and round so that it slides through the water better in turns.

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks folks, each new boat brings its own new set of lessons...;-]

KCook, you do make it sound like changing props is kind of a regular thing? For me, it means standing in 2 feet of mud and 3 feet of water. With me only 5'-6", it would also mean a snorkle. Perhaps I should've bought a trailer, but then that would have meant a new car too...

FWIW, I don't tube in my bay, I do it out in the main lake in ~20' of water (so no issues not to trim down/in, just never crossed my mind.)

Thanks again.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Good point. For trailer boaters changing props is a lot more regular thing than it is for those who are fortunate enough to have a slip.

ramp rat Kelly