How to pump out a leaky pontoon?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
I have a 20' pontoon boat that has a small leak in one of the pontoons. Yes, I plan to fix it after the season but for now would like a way to pump it out. The only access to the inside is via a 3/4" capped hole that I can take off. I have a hand pump to pump it out but it is taking way too long. A bilge pump would be great but it has to be submersed and is too big. Is there any common pump that can draw up a 1/2" tube about 2' and sit on top to pump it out as I have not found one yet. Thanks.

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How to pump out a leaky pontoon?

Put 3.8 psi pressure on it and let it go back out the way it came in. :D

I'm only half kidding.

Ok...I am full kidding. But the idea popped in to me head.

Is it on a trailer? If so, can you create a siphon with a small lenth of hose?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Call a TSC or Farm and Fleet store. they may have a pump to help you out, other than what you have is all I can think of.

Maybe a shop vac but you would have to find someway to neck down the hose.

Splat

Lieutenant

Just some warning, any pressure over like 4 psi will cause the log to explode!!!!!!!

Your looking for a transfer pump of some kind. Like one used on freshwater tanks on RV's. Check a local Harbor Freight they will have one cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576
like that one but I know I've seen 12v ones much cheaper. Still looking.

Bill

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Had the same problem. What I got is what they called a basement drainer at my hardware store. It takes a hose connection to my outside faucet on the house and two other lines, one is the outlet, and one is the inlet hose. When you turn on the hose on the house on, it creates a venturi, and the inlet hose sucks the water right out of the pontoon and it dumps out of the outlet hose. I doubt that this makes much sense, but perhaps someone else will have seen one of these and knows what they are really called. (Years ago my dad had one of these with two hoses and an inlet port. You want to get one with 3 hoses. They do make them.)

I also have used a very low pressure (1 or 2 PSI SLOWLY applied) on the pontoon to force the water out of the crack in the pontoon. I assume that you have some sort of damage on the pontoon that is letting the water in. The nice thing about that approach is that when it is down as far as possible, you will see a bubble trail that will show you where the leak is at. This also assumes that the pontoon is in the water.

TerryMSU

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hmmm, good ideas but there's a few catches. It's on the river not near any power or water supply tied to our dock. I can use the 12v battery only. The transfer pump I think is the best idea so far but we have no Harbour Freights here. But it's good to see one exists, I will have to try to look more up here in Canada. Thanks so far for the ideas.

I also think it's too heavy to try and take out on the trailer and drain, plus it's a long way to the ramp with a slow (water logged) boat.

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try Can. tire/walmart, they both usually carry a drill driven,self priming pump.
It has garden hose conections on the inlet and discharge sides. Any battery powered drill would be enough to run it!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I actually bought one of those drill pumps from Princess Auto and it didn't work. I also had one of those way in the past and it didn't work either. I don't think those dumb drill pumps work!

Bamby

Seaman

Don't know how you are going to get the water out of it. But I do know that you are making a bigger problem for yourself here. When a pontoon has a leak in it you don't want to keep taking out that plug. Every time you do you are allowing more water in it. The water pressure creates air pressure that balance out to stop more water from entering in. Thats what make pontoons so safe and keeps them from sinking. Every time you remove that plug you allow more water in to find that balance in pressure again.
Your best bet now may be to put a slight amount of air pressure in to drive water out of your leak. But please have a plan in place before you remove that plug again. Or you may be posting pictures of your sunkin pontoon boat.
Gregg

Bamby

Seaman

Don't know how you are going to get the water out of it. But I do know that you are making a bigger problem for yourself here. When a pontoon has a leak in it you don't want to keep taking out that plug. Every time you do you are allowing more water in it. The water pressure creates air pressure that balance out to stop more water from entering in. Thats what make pontoons so safe and keeps them from sinking. Every time you remove that plug you allow more water in to find that balance in pressure again.
Your best bet now may be to put a slight amount of air pressure in to drive water out of your leak. But please have a plan in place before you remove that plug again. Or you may be posting pictures of your sunkin pontoon boat.
Gregg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it was sealed tight I would agree with you but it has a vent hole in the cap anyway so the insides are open to the outside pressure.

In theory if there were no vent hole's a pontoon could never fill with water if the hole was on the bottom as it'd just be like holding an inverted glass under water.

snuffy45

Seaman Apprentice

I have a pump to pump water off pool cover it is similiar to the kind you use to fill a keresene heater with fuel. it has a hose about 8' long and 3/4 inch round, you just pump the bubble and it siphons the water off whenever it rains or snow melts. not really fast but it does work great, steady stream, just pump it and leave it it will stop when it runs out of water. I have seen siphon hose like it in auto section at wal-mart but it is smaller, for gas tank. pool place will have the bigger one. very cheap way to pump it out if you just want to start the flow and leave it till you come back again. you can cut the length to fit if it is to long.

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Odd you had trouble with the drill drive one, I have used mine with fairly good results several times. I have also seen a manual type that looks like an old bike pump, maybe that would work for you. Or possibly an aerater pump would work, 12v. 3/4"?

branman1971

Seaman

I know you said that you couldnt get a bilge pump down in the tubes, but if you can get the discharge tube of the pump into the tube, and then cross the pos/neg lines oppsite, the bilge pump motor will turn backwards and suck from the discharge tube, dumping from what was your pickup side.

Other than that, Terry mentioned a venturi tube option, which is also known as a waterbed drainer valve. Pretty cheap, Walmart should have em.

Jeep Man

Commander

I had the same problem. This reply may be too late, but I just read your thread. I tried the drill pump,modified bilge pump,sifon all to no avail. What I did find is a small 12 volt pump (also available in 120 AC) with garden hose size attachments at Princess Auto. It cost me about 70 bucks but it worked so sweet.A similiar one was available at TSC but cost a little more. I've recently done contract work at TSC in your area in Kemptville, Rockland and Arnprior.I don't know if you have a Princess Auto nearby.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That was exactly the same process that I went thru, tried all the same pumps, and then ended up with that same 1/2" 12v pump. Except Princess Auto was out of them so I got it at Canadian Tire. The little pump worked excellent so this thread should be good for anyone else that has the same problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have the harbor freight pump, did not work, i have a slight leak, but luck that i have drain plugs on the stern of each toon, i was going to use the harbor freight pump, as a pick up pump, and install it on the fuel tank rack, but it will not pick up the water, it will push it but not pick up. also say not to run dry.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

I've got my toon into the marina to take the water out. I'll have to call them to see the status.

But now that I think of it, what about a shop vac? they sell attachments to reduce the diameter of the hose, then tape a small diameter hose on. It worked for me to get water out of the P traps when I winterize my cabin, it should act the same. ( You just will have to dump the vac every so often)

But there are several threads I noticed on this topic. ( first take the boat out of the water, then drain the toons).