250 hp Mercury Verado on party boat

gss036

Commander
I just throw this out because I saw about 28-30 ft pontoon/aluminum chambered boat at a boat show this weekend w/above 250 Verdao on it. I asked the sales person if thought it was a little bit on the over kill side of power, his answered surprised me when he said "YEAH!" I didn't go any further since it just looked so out of place.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 250 hp Mercury Verado on party boat

Saw this one on the Lake this weekend. Twin 300's on the back. I too thought the Verado was overkill until I saw this at full bore going across the water. Unbelieveable.....Had to be doing 70...But it looked like a fun ride..

Attachments

• toon rb [640x480].JPG
    toon rb [640x480].JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seriously doubt it is rated for 600 mph. the wind hit that thing just right, and back it will flip.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Then you probably wouldn't believe the one I saw at this years boat show. Same manufactuer as the other one...:)

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

j_martin

Admiral

Looks like pontoons are going the way of the 1960's muscle cars. A gazillion horses in a sedan made to go 60. Lots of kids killed themselves in them things.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

900 horse on a toon, that is close to the craziest thing I have ever seen, next to Snapping Turtle 2000 horse drug running boat.

The biggest outboard we put on is the Yamaha 350 and we are still moving a big block 496 I/O now and then.

That has got to be just plain scary.

Jakgop21

Recruit

Does anyone know the brand of the boat that was shown in the picture at the boat show? or the one at the lake?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

They are all Playcrafts. There are 2 in the first photo. Playcraft offers 'toons with powder coated logs in orange, white, and yellow.

The unit with triples was probably just for show or for time trials. At Lake of the Ozarks, Playcraft's back yard, we see many twin engined playcrafts. He's hit the upper 80's running doubles during our topgun shootout. And that was with full furniture. The comment is that what he runs on Sunday, he'll sell on Monday.

And yes, the owner Jim Dorris, does know about what can happen if you over power or misuse his product. A couple of years ago, he was testing out a new model and flipped it. Not end over end, but went into a power turn and flipped it on it's side. His test mate died as a result of the incident.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did anyone else notice the ski pole on the back of that 900hp beast. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

maybe a little over powered?????

Jakgop21

Recruit

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the best brand of a pontoon boat that would be used for fishing,skiing, and cruising? Some thing that's a decent size overall with a decent size motor.