Cleaning aluminum pontoons??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogsters

Cadet
I recently purchased a 96 smokercraft pontoon. It was in water most of the time in a marina. What is the best way/product to clean the aluminum pontoons? I have tried aluminum polish from auto parts store. I did not know if there was a cleaner designed just for this. More of a cleaner rather than a polish.

DMAN1968

Seaman
Re: Cleaning aluminum pontoons??

I used an AC coil cleaner that I can't for the life of me remember the name of right now. It was given to me but you can probably find it at yor local AC parts/maintenance place. Dilute it, spray it on, wait 60 seconds and hose/wipe it off. Work in small sections to try to avoid streaking the toons. Did wonders for my old pontoon boat. It won't give you that shiny, polished look though. More like a nice whitish/semi shine...good for my old girl.

A word of warning...that stuff is toxic. If the wind blows it back at you it can burn you. Wear the proper gear/clothes and protect your eyes/skin. I can't stress that enough.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the good guys here on I boats helped me with my problems which is much the same as yours..My boat sat idle in the lake for 3 years and had all kind of crud on the pontoons...I used muratic acid...same stuff as used to clean mortar off new brick...Just put it in a plastic pump-up garden sprayer (full strength)....Try to stay up-wind from the fumes..they are very toxic, but you wont be able to stay in the fumes very long...leave it on for 5 or 6 minutes and rinse off with a water hose. The crud just fell off. I don't worry much about a little discoloration (not being shiny), because the next trip to the lake..Its dirty again.

Aluminum Wheel cleaner I get it at my Local NAPA autoparts store comes in gallon containers I put it in pump-up bug sprayer, spray on wait 10 to 15 min and wash off. toons look new when done

mudweiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have ried almost every available cleaner, polish that most parts stoires carry. We use this to clean and polish the tunnels of our snowmobiles. Brands such Mothers, flints, wet woll products such as eagle one. All of them. Many require a ton of elbow grease. BTW, if you know where i can buy some elbow grease let me know, i don't want to use any of mine. The best by far we found is Bush polish. I know you were not looking for a polish, but this will clean it very well and leave you a nice finish. Very easy to use, wipe on lightly rub off. It's about $18 a bottle available at most truck stops. Next in line was Hoosiers but that did take a bit more effort and is only available on-line. The cheapest would be Eagle one which is in a tin can. Eagle one runs like $3-4 a tin and does go a long way. Messy to use, but does work pretty well.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got done using ToonBrite and it worked wonders. Spray on wait five min and hose off.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Where do you find ToonBrite? I've heard of it, and I know it has a great reputation for working wonders, but not sure wheather to get it at a Marine Dealer or just order it online?

glrichards

Seaman Apprentice

I buy it at bass pro shops. Be sure to follow the instructions if it smokes when you put it on its to strong.
Like I said I buy it at bass pro but have seen it online at a lot of places .
They have their oun web site.You can get it here at iboats.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Use the minimum strength that will do the job and the logs will not turn so white. Aluma Brite coil cleaner is sold at HVAC parts houses and a gallon will clean the toon many times. About $15.00 a gallon.

k22sharm

Recruit
I bought Alumabrite by Aurora marine, and it worked like magic. Last year I had tried ToonBrite, and it ended up leaving white marks on my pontoon.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I bought Alumabrite by Aurora marine, and it worked like magic. Last year I had tried ToonBrite, and it ended up leaving white marks on my pontoon.

Old thread, over 9 years.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.